Malaysian Institute of Accountants
|Malaysian Institute of Accountants (MIA)
|Motto||Accountants: Managers of Value|
|Formation||1 January 1967|
|Legal status||Body corporate incorporated under the Accountants Act, 1967 of the Parliament of Malaysia|
|Objective||Regulate and develop the accounting profession in Malaysia|
|Headquarters||Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia|
|Membership||30,236 (as of 30 October 2013)|
|Member's designations||C.A.(M), L.A.(M) or A.M.(M)|
|Official languages||English and Malay|
|President||Datuk Johan Idris|
|Vice-President||Datuk Zaiton Mohd Hassan|
|Chief Executive Officer||Ho Foong Moi|
|Chief Operating Officer||Chua Suat Khim|
|IFAC member since||7 October 1977|
Malaysian Institute of Accountants (MIA) is the umbrella body for the accountancy profession in Malaysia. It was established under the Accountants Act, 1967 to regulate and develop the accountancy profession in this country. MIA operates under the purview of the Ministry of Finance through the Accountant General's Department.
MIA is the only accountancy body empowered by law to regulate the accountancy profession in Malaysia, thus making MIA membership mandatory for those holding themselves out or practising as an accountant in the country. MIA’s membership encompasses both legal and market recognition for accountants in Malaysia.
Members of MIA are conferred with the designation Chartered Accountant Malaysia, abbreviated as `C.A.(M)’. This designation is given to a professional in accountancy, business and finance with recognised accountancy qualification and relevant work experience. At present, there are more than 30,000 MIA members working in all industries and states of Malaysia.
As an umbrella body for all the accountants in Malaysia, MIA’s responsibilities include education and quality assurance as well as enforcement, to maintain the credibility of the profession and the public interest. MIA is a member of the International Federation of Accountants (IFAC) and the ASEAN Federation of Accountants (AFA).
MIA hosted the 18th World Congress of Accountants from 8-11 November 2010, which was held at the Kuala Lumpur Convention Centre. A record number of 6,000 delegates from 134 countries participated. The Congress, which originated in 1904 and has been held regularly since 1977, was jointly organised by the MIA and the International Federation of Accountants (IFAC).
Presidents of MIA
The President is elected among the members of MIA Council. Among those who served as President are:
- Dato' Shamsir Omar (1967–87)
- Dato' Hanifah Noordin (1987–99)
- Dato' Syed Amin Aljeffri (2000)
- Tan Sri Abdul Samad Hj. Alias (2000–05)
- Abdul Rahim Abdul Hamid (2005–07)
- Nik Mohd Hasyudeen Yusoff (2007–09)
- Abdul Rahim Abdul Hamid (2009–11)
- Datuk Mohd Nasir Ahmad (2011–13)
- Datuk Johan Idris - (2013 - Present)
- "About MIA". Retrieved 15 January 2014.
- "Members". IFAC. Retrieved 15 January 2014.
- "Membership". AFA. Retrieved 15 January 2014.
- World Congress of Accountants 2010 Opens with Record Number of Delegates, IFAC. 8 November 2010. Retrieved 15 January 2014.
- Official website
- Malaysian Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Malaysian Accountancy Research and Education Foundation