|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2013)|
Mandy Aftel is an American perfumer and author of three books on natural perfume. Essence and Alchemy: A Book of Perfume has been translated into seven languages, won the 2001 Sense of Smell Institute's Richard B. Solomon Award, and has helped pioneer the trend toward using natural ingredients.
Aroma, a cookbook co-authored with chef Daniel Patterson, focuses on the essential link between food and fragrance. Scents and Sensibilities guides the reader through the history and creation of solid perfume.
Natural Perfumers Guild
Aftel founded the Natural Perfumers Guild in 2002 to increase public awareness and education in natural perfumes. She has taught on natural perfume and aromas at University of Southern California, University of California Berkeley, the Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum, the Culinary Institute of America at Greystone, the James Beard Foundation, New York University, Slow Food, London Design Festival, Esalen Institute, French Laundry Restaurant, San Francisco's Exploratorium, San Francisco Decorators Showcase, Women in Flavors and Fragrance in Commerce, and COPIA (The American Center for Wine, Food and the Arts).
Mandy Aftel was named "best scent" in San Francisco Magazine's "Best of the Bay", included on the "it list" of perfumers in Perfumer and Flavorist magazine, was listed as one of the top seven bespoke perfumers in the world by Forbes Magazine,
 In 2005, Aftel was invited to participate in a collaborative project between the Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum in San Jose and the Stanford University School of Medicine, recreating a perfume for a two-thousand-year-old child mummy, unofficially dubbed Sherit, from chemically analyzed resins that were scraped from the mummy's burial mask.
Mandy Aftel had three of her fragrances nominated for the 2011 U.S. FiFi Awards (the perfume industry's equivalent of The Oscars) in the Best Indie Brand category, the first time an all-natural perfume has been nominated for a FiFi since the awards began in 1973, and the first year that the Indie Brand category was included as part of the proceedings.
- 1982 Death of a Rolling Stone: The Brian Jones Story. Delilah Books. ISBN 0-933328-37-0
- 1985 When Talk Is Not Cheap (with Robin Lakoff). Warner. ISBN 0-446-51309-1
- 1996 The Story of Your Life: Becoming the Author of Your Experience. Simon & Schuster. ISBN 0-684-81557-5
- 2001 Essence and Alchemy: A Book of Perfume. North Point Press. ISBN 0-86547-553-9
- 2004 Aroma: The Magic of Essential Oils in Foods and Fragrance (with Daniel Patterson). Artisan. ISBN 1-57965-264-6
- 2005 Scents & Sensibilities: Creating Solid Perfumes for Well-Being. Gibbs Smith. ISBN 1-58685-738-X
- 2014 Fragrant: The Secret Life of Scent. Riverhead. ISBN 978-1-59463-141-2
- Hendrix, Anastasia (June 5, 2005). "The alchemist's life / Berkeley's Mandy Aftel creates scents for the stars". SFGate. Retrieved January 4, 2013.
- Tudor, Silke (May 8, 2002). "Making Scents". San Francisco Weekly. Retrieved January 4, 2013.
- Mandy Aftel on Facebook
- Aftelier Perfumes
- Natural Perfumers Guild
- Yahoo video: Second Act: Mandy Aftel
- Forbes video: CEO Spotlight
- FiFi Awards article: Independent Creativity: Profiling Mandy Aftel