||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (June 2009)|
Artur Manfred Max-Neef (b. October 26, 1932, Valparaíso, Chile) is a Chilean economist and environmentalist mainly known for his human development model based on Fundamental human needs. He is of German descent. Max-Neef started his career as a professor of economics at the University of California, Berkeley in the early 1960s.
Max-Neef traveled through Latin America and the United States, as a visiting professor in various universities, as well as living with and researching the poor. He worked with the problem of development in the Third World, describing the inappropriateness of conventional models of development that have contributed to poverty, debt and ecological disasters for Third World communities.
In 1981, Max-Neef wrote From the Outside Looking In: Experiences in Barefoot Economics, a narrative of his travels among the poor in South America. In the same year, he founded CEPAUR (Centre for Development Alternatives).
In 1982, Max-Neef won the Right Livelihood Award for his work in poverty-stricken areas of developing countries. Max-Neef ran for President of Chile as an independent in the 1993 election. He achieved 4th place, with 5.55% of the vote.
He is a council member of the World Future Council.
- European Academy of Sciences and Arts
- Club of Rome
- New York Academy of Sciences,
- Leopold Kohr Academy of Salzburg
- University Award of Highest Honour, Soka University, Japan
- Doctor Honoris Causa, University of Jordan
- National Prize for the Promotion and Defense of Human Rights, Chile
- Kenneth Boulding Award (maximum recognition by the International Society for Ecological Economics (ISEE), August 2008)
Commencement speaker 
On May 10, 2009, Max-Neef received an Honorary Doctorate in Humane Letters and was Commencement Speaker to the 158th Graduating Class of Saint Francis University (Loretto, Pennsylvania).
- Max-Neef, Manfred A (1992). From the Outside Looking In: Experiences in Barefoot Economics (pdf). Dag Hammarskjöld Foundation. p. 208. ISBN 1-85649-188-9. Retrieved 2011-02-15.
- Max-Neef, Manfred A; Antonio Elizalde, Martin Hopenhayn (1991). Human Scale Development (pdf). The Apex Press. p. 114. ISBN 0-945257-35-X. Retrieved 2011-02-15.
- Max-Neef, Manfred A; Paul Ekins (1992). Real-Life Economics: Understanding Wealth Creation. Routledge. p. 432. ISBN 0-415-07976-4. Retrieved 2011-02-15.
- Official webpage
- WorldCat Identities
- Right Lifelihood Award's website
- World Future Council
- Max-Neef on Human Needs and Human-scale Development
- Big Picture TV Free video clips of Manfred Max-Neef
- El desarrollo a la medida humana from Desarrollo y Cooperación (March/April 2002) (Spanish)
- Economic Investigation by Hermann Max, Manfred Max-Neef's father
- May 6, 2009 News Release from Saint Francis University
- Max-Neef: U.S. Is Becoming an "Underdeveloping Nation" - video interview by Democracy Now!