|Dr. Xinyu Mao|
|Born||17 January 1970|
|Political party||Communist Party of China|
|Spouse(s)||郝明莉 Hao Mingli
刘滨 Liu Bin
|Children||毛东东 Mao Dongdong
毛甜懿 Mao Tianyi
|Alma mater||Renmin University of China
Central Party School of the Communist Party of China
People's Liberation Army Academy of Military Sciences
Mao Xinyu graduated from the History Department of Renmin University of China in 1992. He works as a researcher at the People's Liberation Army Academy of Military Sciences, where he completed his doctorate. Among the several books he has written is Grandfather Mao Zedong (Yeye Mao Zedong), published by the National Defence University Press in October 2003.
Mao won promotion to the rank of major general in the People's Liberation Army in June 2009, in a controversial move. According to the Changjiang Daily, Mao is now the youngest general in the PLA.
Mao's promotion was controversial. Some critics described his promotion as nepotism. "To have such an unqualified person become a general in China's military, it's an insult to the People's Liberation Army," said Pu Zhiqiang, a lawyer and human rights activist. By contrast, Bao Goujin, a spokesman for the Academy of Military Sciences, said "his is a natural elevation. Mao's many achievements earned him the right to be promoted." Mioa's own view is that "family factors" contributed to his promotion.。
He is also a member of the Chinese National Committee of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference, an advisory group to the central government.
His father, Mao Anqing (1923–2007), was a child of Mao's marriage with Yang Kaihui. Anqing served as a Russian-Chinese interpreter for the Chinese Communist Party until he became disabled by schizophrenia. His mother, Chairman Mao's daughter-in-law, was Shao Hua (邵华).
Mao Xinyu has married twice. His first wife was Hao Mingli (zh) with whom he had no children. Mao is said to have loved the beautiful waitress at first sight. The wedding ceremony was held at 16:00 on 7 December 1997, but Hao died in 2003 at Qincheng Prison, an institution well known for its political prisoners. Mao Xinyu remarried in 2003 to Liu Bin (刘滨), who was from Zhenjiang, Jiangsu Province and whom he had met in 2000. Mao Xinyu and Liu Bin have one son, Mao Dongdong (毛东东, born 2003), as well as one daughter, Mao Tianyi (毛甜懿, born 2008).
Mao has described his grandfather, Mao Zedong as a "god" and "perfect man".
- Family Cherish the Chairman
- Associated Press (23 September 2009). "Mao grandson earns stripes". The Standard.
- Mao's grandson, promoted to major general, faces ridicule, by John M. Glionna, Los Angeles Times, 4 August 2010
- Chairman Mao’s grandson Mao Xinyu is China's youngest general, London Evening Standard, 2 August 2010
- 毛新宇：晉陞少將有家庭因素 (Mao Xinyu: there are family factors in promotion to Major General)
- Asahi Shimbun, "Mao Tse-Tung's Grandson Rises Up Ranks Of PLA", 5 August 2010.
- "Grandson of Mao to teach his philosophy". Global Times. 20 September 2011.
- More about Mao, from his grandson, Tapei Times, 15 January 2004
- Mao Xinyu's love story with his ex-wife Hao Mingli
- 毛新宇与郝明莉离婚 毛新宇的第一次婚姻(组图)-毛新宇与郝明莉离婚,-城市周刊
- An interview with Chairman Mao's grandson, by Eric Mu, 19 March 2008