|Dr. Xinyu Mao|
|Born||17 January 1970|
|Political party||Communist Party of China|
|Spouse(s)||郝明莉 Hao Mingli
刘滨 Liu Bin
|Children||毛东东 Mao Dongdong
毛甜懿 Mao Tianyi
|Alma mater||Renmin University of China
Central Party School of the Communist Party of China
People's Liberation Army Academy of Military Sciences
According to Huang Yongsheng's son,his father Mao Anqing was a mental patient so he was conceived artificially. When the first news of his birth arrived at Mao Zedong, he took no reaction. When again a nurse came and reported it, Mao Zedong coldly replied "The world has another mouth to feed". Mao Zedong never saw his only grandson.
Mao Xinyu graduated from the History Department of Renmin University of China in 1992. He works as a researcher at the People's Liberation Army Academy of Military Sciences, where he completed his doctorate. Among the several books he has written is Grandfather Mao Zedong (Yeye Mao Zedong), published by the National Defence University Press in October 2003.
Mao won promotion to the rank of major general in the People's Liberation Army in June 2009, in a controversial move. According to the Changjiang Daily, Mao is now the youngest general in the PLA.
Following his promotion to general, Mao was severely criticized by opponents of the communist regime. Some critics described his promotion as nepotism. "To have such an unqualified person become a general in China's military, it's an insult to the People's Liberation Army," said Pu Zhiqiang, a lawyer and human rights activist. Bao Goujin, a spokesman for the Academy of Military Sciences, said "his is a natural elevation. Mao's many achievements earned him the right to be promoted."
He is also a member of the Beijing Chinese People's Consultative Conference National Committee, an advisory group to the central government.
His father, Mao Anqing (1923–2007), was a child of Mao's marriage with Yang Kaihui (杨开慧, 1901–1930). Anqing served as a Russian-Chinese interpreter for the Chinese Communist Party until he became disabled by schizophrenia. His mother, Chairman Mao's daughter-in-law, was Shao Hua (邵华).
Mao Xinyu has married twice. His first wife was Hao Mingli (郝明莉), and with whom he had no children. Mao loved the beautiful waitress at the first sight. The wedding ceremony was held at 16:00, 7 December 1997, but Hao died in 2003 at Qincheng Prison, a prison famous for political inmates. Mao Xinyu remarried in 2003 to Liu Bin (刘滨), who was from Zhenjiang, Jiangsu Province and whom he had met in 2000. Mao Xinyu and Liu Bin have one son, Mao Dongdong (毛东东, born 2003), as well as one daughter, Mao Tianyi (毛甜懿, born 2008).
Mao has described his grandfather, Mao Zedong as a "god" and "perfect man".
- Yanhuang Chunqiu ISBN：10031170 2013 Sep.issue 黄永胜任总参谋长期间的一些事(Some things during the Huang Yongsheng as Chief-of-staff period, dictated by Huang Chunguang, written by Mi Hedu)
- Family Cherish the Chairman
- Associated Press (23 September 2009). "Mao grandson earns stripes". The Standard.
- Mao's grandson, promoted to major general, faces ridicule, by John M. Glionna, Los Angeles Times, 4 August 2010
- Chairman Mao’s grandson Mao Xinyu is China's youngest general, London Evening Standard, 2 August 2010
- Asahi Shimbun, "Mao Tse-Tung's Grandson Rises Up Ranks Of PLA", 5 August 2010.
- "Grandson of Mao to teach his philosophy". Global Times. 20 September 2011.
- More about Mao, from his grandson, Tapei Times, 15 January 2004
- Mao Xinyu's love story with his ex-wife Hao Mingli
- 毛新宇与郝明莉离婚 毛新宇的第一次婚姻(组图)-毛新宇与郝明莉离婚,-城市周刊
- An interview with Chairman Mao's grandson, by Eric Mu, 19 March 2008