Mar de Grises
Mar de Grises at Firebox Metal Fest, Seinajoki, Finland, 2008
|Labels||Season of Mist|
|Associated acts||Poema Arcanus, Anathema, Daylight Dies, Saturnus|
Juan Escobar Rodrigo M Sergio A Rodrigo GAlejandro Arce
|Past members||Marcelo Rodriguez, Herumor V.|
Mar de Grises was a Chilean death/doom metal band created in 2000. A good translation of "Mar de Grises" would be "Sea of Grief," even when Grises is the plural form for grey, the color of sorrow in Spanish as it is blue in English.
Members of the band met while studying at university and formed a group just with the idea to spend some leisure time.
Their first demo was recorded in 2002, and was convincing enough to get them a contract with Finnish label, Firebox Records. This was quite rare at the time for a rock or metal band from South America, as the band was barely even known in Chile itself.
With Firebox Records, Mar de Grises released their first LP titled "The Tatterdemalion Express" in January 2004, with sound engineers that had previously worked with bands like Six Magics and Poema Arcanus. The album got a very good reception and was acclaimed by critics, earning titles like "Best Doom Album" and "Best New Band" from important magazines.
In 2006, singer Marcelo Rodríguez left the band and was replaced by Juan Escobar.
In September 2007 Mar de Grises started to record their second album at the same studio where the first one was completed.
In 2008, Mar de Grises finished and released their second album, called "Draining the Waterheart", and started their second European Tour from 16 April to 12 May, performing 20 concerts in 10 countries (Portugal, Spain, France, Netherlands, Germany, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Switzerland, Belgium, Finland). During that tour, they traveled with bands like Saturnus and Thurisaz, including a short tour in Finland (Helsinki, Turku and Seinajoki) with Ablaze in Hatred. In Finland, Mar de Grises performed at the Firebox Metal Festival, sharing the stage with bands like Dark Tranquillity, Impaled Nazarene and Enslaved.
In 2013 they decided to call it quits.
- Rodrigo Morris - Guitar
- Sergio Alvarez - Guitar (Mourner's Lament)
- Rodrigo Galvez - Bass (Mourner's Lament)
- Alejandro Arce - Drums (Norphelida, Target, Kintral)
- Germán Toledo - Vocals (Eternal Demise)
- Demo 2002 (2002)
- The Tatterdemalion Express (2004)
- Draining the Waterheart (2008)
- First River Regards (2009)
- Streams Inwards (2010)
- "Mar De Grises (Junio/2006), realizada por Iván C.", Friedhof-magazine.com, June 2006.
- "Mar De Grises: El nuevo paso a lo melodico y depresivo", Metallerium.com, 28 March 2007.
- "Biografia Mar de Grises", AldeaGlobal.com, 3 June 2006.
- "Mar De Grises", Korroosio, 14 April 2008.
- "Metal Storm Awards 2010 Doom Metal". www.metalstorm.net. Retrieved 2011-04-20.