||This article uses bare URLs for citations, which may be threatened by link rot. (May 2014)|
February 28, 1946 |
|Alma mater||University of Zurich|
Marc Faber (born February 28, 1946) is a Swiss investor based in Thailand. Faber is publisher of the Gloom Boom & Doom Report newsletter and is the director of Marc Faber Ltd which acts as an investment advisor and fund manager. Faber also serves as director, advisor and shareholder of a number of investment funds that focus on emerging and frontier markets, including Leopard Capital’s Leopard Cambodia Fund and Asia Frontier Capital Ltd.'s AFC Asia Frontier Fund.
Faber was born in Zürich and schooled in Geneva, Switzerland, where he raced for the Swiss National Ski Team (B-Team). He studied Economics at the University of Zurich and, at the age of 24, earned a Ph.D. in Economics, graduating magna cum laude.
During the 1970s Faber worked for White Weld & Company Limited in New York City, Zürich, and Hong Kong. He moved to Hong Kong in 1973. He was a managing director at Drexel Burnham Lambert Ltd Hong Kong from the beginning of 1978 until the firm's collapse in 1990. In 1990, he set up his own business, Marc Faber Limited. Faber now resides in Chiangmai, Thailand, though he keeps a small office in Hong Kong.
Faber predicted the rise of oil, precious metals, other commodities, emerging markets, and especially China in his book Tomorrow's Gold: Asia's Age of Discovery. He also correctly predicted the slide of the U.S. dollar since 2002. He stated that there are few value investments available, except for farmland and real estate in some emerging markets like Russia, Paraguay, and Uruguay. and the Manhattan Mises Circle.
He also expressed temporary bullishness for the U.S. Dollar in mid-2008, before it dramatically recovered and positive expectations for holding the Japanese yen. In December 2008, Faber said, "I think a recovery will not come in the next couple of years, maybe in five, 10 years' time".
ON September 23, 2014, Faber said we have "bubbles everywhere" 
On January 14 2015, Faber predicted that Gold Prices will rise by 30% in 2015 
Faber writes the monthly investment newsletter The Gloom Boom & Doom Report. He has also authored several books.
Faber has been a contributor to Forbes and International Wealth (a sister publication of the Financial Times). He has contributed regularly to several websites such as Financial Intelligence, Asian Bond Portal, Die Welt, Finanzen, Boerse, AME Info, Swiss Radio, Apple Hong Kong and Taiwan, Quamnet, Winners, Wealth and Oriental Daily. He has also written occasionally for the International Herald Tribune, Wall Street Journal, and Borsa e Finanza.
Faber has been long term bearish about the American economy for a number of years, and continues to be so. He concluded his June 2008 newsletter with the following mock quote:
"The federal government is sending each of us a $600 rebate. If we spend that money at Wal-Mart, the money goes to China. If we spend it on gasoline it goes to the Arabs. If we buy a computer it will go to India. If we purchase fruit and vegetables it will go to Mexico, Honduras and Guatemala. If we purchase a good car it will go to Germany. If we purchase useless crap it will go to Taiwan and none of it will help the American economy. The only way to keep that money here at home is to spend it on prostitutes and beer, since these are the only products still produced in US. I've been doing my part."
- "Faber, Marc" in Who's Who of the Asian Pacific Rim, Volume 6, pg. 105. Published by Barons Who's Who, 1998.
- Pressler, Jessica and Bess Levin. (2008-10-31). "The Fearmongers of Finance". Retrieved 2009-12-15.
- "About Marc Faber: Biography". Marc Faber Ltd. Retrieved 2009-12-15.
- Sterngold, James. (1990-10-08). "Hong Kong Empire's 'Junk' Tactic". The New York Times. Retrieved 2009-12-15.
- "Lifestyle: New Office Building". Marc Faber Ltd. 2003. Retrieved 2009-12-15.
- Sayson, Ian C. and Pimm Fox. (2007-01-08). "Global Markets Face `Severe Correction,' Faber Says". Bloomberg. Retrieved 2009-12-15.
- Cooper, Peter J. (2008-08-10). "A tribute to Marc Faber, part one: US dollar, Nasdaq, gold and oil". In AME Info. Retrieved 2009-12-15.
- McTague, Jim. (2007-12-31). "Barron's Cover: Don't Bet the Farm – Part II". Barron's (Dow Jones). Retrieved 2009-12-15.
- Mirror, Mirror on the Wall, When is the Next AIG to Fall? on YouTube
- Faber, Marc. Phone interview with Kathleen Hays. Bloomberg News. August 2008. Retrieved on 2009-12-15. Transcript can be found at Mish's Global Economic Trend Analysis.
- "Marc Faber predicts economic disaster in 2009 part 1 of 2".
- "U.S. Inflation to Approach Zimbabwe Level, Faber Says".
- "Marc Faber: 100% Chance of Global Recession".
- "Odds of Global Recession Are 100%: Marc Faber".
- Faber: U.S. Is Creating Nowhere-to-Hide Bubbles 27-03-2013
- Faber: Bubbles Everywhere
- Faber: Gold Prices 2015
- Faber, Marc. (2002-06-10). "Economy And Empire". Forbes. Retrieved 2009-12-15.
- "Marc Faber [Forbes website search results]". Forbes. 2009-12-15. Retrieved 2009-12-15.
- "Profile of Marc Faber: Biography". In Financial Gurus. Retrieved 2009-12-15.
- Gosnell, Peter. (2008-10-17). "Prostitutes and beer in US". The Daily Telegraph (Sydney). Retrieved 2009-12-15.