|Born||Марина Лаврентьевна Васильева
July 20, 1931
Leonenki, Smolensk Oblast
|Known for||102 world records|
Marina Popovich (Mari′na Lavre′ntievna Popo′vich, née Vasi′liyeva, born July 20, 1931 in Leonenki, Smolensk Oblast) is a retired Soviet Air Force colonel, engineer, and legendary Soviet test pilot who holds 107 aviation world records set on over 40 types of aircraft. She is one of the most famous pilots in Russian history, and one of the most important female pilots of all time.
Marina Vasilieva became a Soviet Air Force pilot and in 1964, a military test pilot. She authored nine books and two screenplays. Among many other awards, she has been honored as Hero of Socialist Labor, the Order of Courage (presented personally by Vladimir Putin in June 2007) and a star in the Cancer constellation bears her name.
Popovich and UFOs
Marina Popovich speaks about her experience with UFOs in her book titled UFO Glasnost (published in 2003 in Germany) and in public lectures and interviews. She claims that the Soviet military and civilian pilots have confirmed 3000 UFO sightings and that the Soviet Air Force and KGB have fragments of five crashed UFOs. The crash sites were Tunguska (1908), Novosibirsk, Tallinn/Estonia, Ordzhonikidze[disambiguation needed]/Caucasus, and Dalnegorsk (1986).
Honours and awards
- This article incorporates information from the Russian Wikipedia.
- Order of the Red Banner
- Order of the Red Star
- Order of the Badge of Honour
- Order of Courage (2007)
- Honoured Master of Sports
- Winner of the Great Gold Medal "FAI" for the distribution of aeronautical knowledge
- "Марина Лаврентьевна Повович (Васильева)". www.astronaut.ru. Retrieved 2010-08-13.
- Marina Popovich at Best People of Russia site.
- "Попович Марина Лаврентьевна". admin-smolensk.ru. Retrieved 2011-01-01.
- "Pavel Romanovich Popovich" (in Russian). Space Encyclopedia ASTROnote. 11 June 2009. Retrieved 2009-09-30.
- "Pavel Popovich, sixth man in orbit, dies". collectSPACE. 30 September 2009. Retrieved 2009-09-30.
|This Soviet biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|