Mario Party: Island Tour
|Mario Party: Island Tour|
Packaging artwork released for all territories.
Mario Party: Island Tour (Japanese: マリオパーティ アイランドツアー Hepburn: Mario Pātī Airando Tsuā ?) is a party video game for the Nintendo 3DS. It is the thirteenth game in the Mario Party series and the third game for a handheld console. The game was announced by Satoru Iwata in a Nintendo Direct presentation on April 17, 2013. It features 7 boards, each with their own special features, and 81 new minigames. The game was released on November 22, 2013 in North America, on January 17, 2014 in Europe, on January 18, 2014 in Australia, and on March 20, 2014 in Japan.
The gameplay is similar to previous installments in the Mario Party series. By rolling the virtual dice, the player advances on the game board and triggers a minigame. The minigames can be played any time, even when not on a game board; the game also features AR (augmented reality) and StreetPass. Each board has its own rules, such as racing to the finish and using items to enhance the amount of spaces advanced as well as hinder opponents and collecting the most Mini Stars to win.
Mario Party: Island Tour has received mixed reviews. It currently holds a score of 62.78% at GameRankings, and 57/100 at Metacritic. Game Revolution gave the game 3/5, praising the seven new boards and boss minigames, but the repetitive gameplay, character voices and board music was criticized. GamesRadar rewarded Mario Party: Island Tour with three stars out of five, claiming "Island Tour isn't the Mario Party you remember, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. That said, there are definitely some missing pieces that keep it from being a memorable entry in the franchise." GameSpot rated the game a 7/10, commending the game's usage of four-player local download play, great minigame designs, and also Island Tour 's single-player mode, but criticized "a few bad games in the bunch", and the lack of online play. IGN scored the game 5.5/10, stating "Mario Party: Island Tour’s rich multiplayer options are sullied by boring minigames and unfortunate motion control." Nintendo World Report scored the game 8.5/10, listing Island Tour's pros as being the game boards, "extensive" single-player mode, and the fact that it utilizes almost all the Nintendo 3DS features, and the cons as the fact that the difficulty of Bowser's Tower is not changeable, the instruction screens, which they described as "repetitive", and also that there is no online multiplayer. Pocket Gamer UK scored the game 6/10, summarizing "Mario Party: Island Tour will provide you and a bunch of mates with a great evening of laughs, but most of the time you'll be laughing AT it rather than with it."
- Mallory, Jordan. "Zelda: A Link Between Worlds and Mario Party: Island Tour hit 3DS Nov. 22". Joystiq. Retrieved August 2013.
- "Nintendo Direct Presentation - 13.11.2013". Retrieved 13 November 2013.
- "NINTENDO ANNOUNCES LAUNCH DATES FOR ANTICIPATED Wii U & NINTENDO 3DS TITLES FOR 2013". Nintendo Australia. 2 October 2013. Retrieved 21 October 2013.
- "Nintendo Direct 2013.12.18 プレゼンテーション映像". Nintendo. December 18, 2013. Retrieved December 26, 2013.
- JC Fletcher on Apr 17th 2013 10:10AM (2013-04-17). "New Mario Party coming to 3DS this winter". Joystiq. Retrieved 2013-04-29.
- April 17, 2013 7:12AM PDT (2013-04-17). "Mario Party 3DS revealed". GameSpot.com. Retrieved 2013-04-29.
- "Mario Party Coming To Nintendo 3DS". Cinemablend.com. 2013-04-17. Retrieved 2013-04-29.
- 4/17/13 10:11am 4/17/13 10:11am. "Mario Party Coming to 3DS This Winter". Kotaku.com. Retrieved 2013-04-29.
- Whitehead, Thomas. "A Mario Party is Getting Started on 3DS This Winter". NintendoLife. Retrieved April 2013.
- "Mario Party: Island Tour for 3DS". GameRankings. Retrieved 2013-11-22.
- "Mario Party: Island Tour for 3DS Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved 2013-11-22.
- "Mario Party: Island Tour review". GamesRadar. Retrieved 2013-11-22.
- "Mario Party Island Tour Review". GameSpot. Retrieved 2013-11-22.
- Scott Thompson (2013-04-17). "Mario Party: Island Tour Review". IGN. Retrieved 2013-11-22.
- "Mario Party: Island Tour Review - Review". Nintendo World Report. Retrieved 2013-11-22.
- "Mario Party: Island Tour Review". Gamerevolution.com. Retrieved 2013-11-22.
- "Mario Party: Island Tour review - 3DS reviews". Pocket Gamer. Retrieved 2013-11-22.