Market Street Masindi on a Sunday morning
|Elevation||3,740 ft (1,140 m)|
|Population (2014 Census)|
Masindi is a town in Western Uganda, which lies on the road from Kampala to the Murchison Falls National Park. It is the 'chief town' of Masindi District and the district headquarters are located there. The district is named after the town, as is the case in many Ugandan districts.
Masindi is located approximately 220 kilometres (140 mi) northwest of Kampala, Uganda's capital and largest city, on an all-weather tarmac highway. The coordinates of Masindi are:1°41'01.0"N, 31°43'20.0"E (Latitude:1.683611; Longitude:31.722222).
According to the 2002 national census, the population of Masindi was about 28,300. In 2010, the Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS), estimated the population of the town at 43,000. In 2011, UBOS estimated the mid-year population of Masindi at 45,400. The national population census conducted in August 2014 put the population of Masindi at 94,622.
As capital of Bunyoro, Masindi was visited by Samuel Baker, a British explorer and anti-slavery campaigner, from 25 April 1872 to 14 June 1873. The Baker expedition was forced to withdraw because of the hostility of the Omukama Kabaléga, the King of Bunyoro at the time.
Points of Interest
The points of interest within the town limits or close to the edges of town include:
- The headquarters of Masindi District Administration
- The offices of Masindi Town Council
- Masindi Hotel - Built in 1923, it is the oldest hotel in Uganda
- Masindi Hospital - A 200 bed public hospital administered by the Uganda Ministry of Health
- A branch of Barclays Bank
- A branch of Centenary Bank
- A branch of Stanbic Bank
- A branch of the National Social Security Fund
- The main campus of the Kigumba Institute of Petroleum Studies, located 44 kilometres (27 mi), northeast of Masindi.
- Kinyara Sugar Works - One of three major manufacturers of refined sugar in Uganda, located 15 kilometres (9.3 mi), west of Masindi.
- Masindi Airport - ICAO Code:HUMI; IATA Code: KCU. A public airport, administered by the Uganda Civil Aviation Authority
- UBOS, . (27 August 2014). "The Population of The Regions of the Republic of Uganda And All Cities And Towns of More Than 15,000 Inhabitants". Citypopulation.de Quoting Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS). Retrieved 23 February 2015.
- "Road Distance Between Kampala And Masindi With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- Google, . "Location of Masindi At Google Maps". Google Maps. Retrieved 23 February 2015.
- UBOS, . "Estimated Population of Masindi In 2002, 2010 & 2011". Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS). Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- To The Heart Of The Nile: Lady Florence Baker and the Exploration of Central Africa, by Pat Shipman
- Airports in Uganda
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Masindi.|