"Master Harold"...and the Boys
|"Master Harold"...and the Boys|
Penguin Books edition
|Written by||Athol Fugard|
|Place premiered||Yale Repertory Theatre
New Haven, Connecticut
|Subject||A student moves from childhood innocence to poisonous bigotry.|
|Setting||St. Georges Park Tea Room, Port Elizabeth, South Africa. 1950.|
"Master Harold"...and the Boys is a play by Athol Fugard. It was first produced at the Yale Repertory Theatre in early 1982 and made its premiere on Broadway at the Lyceum Theatre on 4 May where it ran for 344 performances. The play takes place in South Africa during apartheid era, and it depicts how institutionalized racism, bigotry or hatred can become absorbed by those who live under it.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (November 2013)|
The principal casts of notable productions of Master Harold... and the Boys
|1982 Yale Repertory||Zeljko Ivanek||Zakes Mokae||Danny Glover|
|1982 Original Broadway||Lonny Price||Zakes Mokae||Danny Glover|
|2003 Broadway Revival||Christopher Denham||Danny Glover||Michael Boatman|
|2012 South African Revival||Alex Middlebrook||Tshamano Sebe||Themba Mchunu|
|2013 South African Revival (in Afrikaans)||Hennie Jacobs||Terence Bridgette||Christo Davids|
Note: In 1982, Ivanek who left to make the film The Sender, which is why he was replaced by Price. Note: Translated in Afrikaans by Idil Sheard as Master Harold en die Boys.
A filmed version of the play was produced in South Africa in 2009 starring Freddie Highmore (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Finding Neverland) as Hally and Ving Rhames (Pulp Fiction, Mission Impossible 1-3) as Sam. The film was directed by Emmy Award-winning director Lonny Price (who played Hally in the original Broadway cast) and produced by Zaheer Goodman-Bhyat, Mike Auret, Nelle Nugent and David Pupkewitz.
Awards and nominations
- 1982 Drama Desk Award Outstanding New Play
- 1983 London Critics' Circle Theatre Award for Best Play
- 1983 London Evening Standard Award for Best Play
- 1982 Tony Award for Best Play
- "Master Harold...and the Boys" (Press release). The Colony Theatre Company. 26 September 2007. Retrieved 2008-10-01.
- Fick, David."BWW Reviews: New 'MASTER HAROLD' Production at the Fugard Packs an Emotional Punch" BroadwayWorld, March 26, 2013
- Fugard, Athol (1982). "Master Harold"-- and the Boys (First edition ed.). New York: A.A. Knopf. ISBN 0-394-52874-3.
- "Master Harold"...and the Boys at the Internet Broadway Database
- Master Harold...and the Boys (revival) at the Internet Broadway Database