June 14, 1986 |
Calgary, AB, CAN
|Height||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Weight||190 lb (86 kg; 13 st 8 lb)|
|NHL team||Philadelphia Flyers|
|This article's factual accuracy is disputed. (March 2013)|
Playing career 
Minor Hockey 
|This section's factual accuracy is disputed. (March 2013)|
Read started playing hockey on Vancouver Island playing for the Kerry Park Islanders. At age 10, he moved to Colorado Springs, Colorado and played for Pikes Peak Minor Hockey for four years. He then moved to Ilderton, Ontario and played for the Ilderton Jets of the OMHA's Shamrock League.
Junior Hockey 
After graduating from Midget in 2002, Read played OHA Junior D hockey for the Lucan Irish in the 2002-03 season.
In the 2004-05 season, Read was runner up to future NHLer Logan Couture for the WOHL Rookie-of-the-Year Award. Couture, a graduate of the Lucan Irish of the Shamrock League, played that season with the St. Thomas Stars before being an OHL first round draft pick in 2005.
Philadelphia Flyers 
Read signed a three-year contract as a free agent with the Philadelphia Flyers on March 24, 2011, after playing four seasons of collegiate hockey with Bemidji State University. On October 5, 2011, the Flyers announced that Read had made the final roster.
Read scored his first NHL goal during a game against the New Jersey Devils on October 8, 2011, against goaltender Martin Brodeur. On October 18, Read recorded a career-high 4 points (goal, 3 assists) in a 7-2 Flyers win over the Ottawa Senators. As of November 21, Read scored a goal in five consecutive games.
Awards and honours 
- CHA All-Rookie Team (2007–08)
- CHA Rookie of the Year (2007–08)
- NCAA Frozen Four participant (2008–09)
- CHA Player of the Year (2009–10)
- CHA First All-Star Team (2009-10)
- NCAA West First-Team All-America (2009–10)
- NHL All-Star Rookie (2011-12)
- Led NHL rookies in goals (2011-12) - 24
Career statistics 
Regular season and playoffs 
|2003–04||St. Marys Lincolns||WOHL||36||12||13||25||32||—||—||—||—||—|
|2004–05||St. Marys Lincolns||WOHL||47||23||29||52||46||—||—||—||—||—|
|2006–07||Des Moines Buccaneers||USHL||58||28||34||62||110||8||2||0||2||6|
|2007–08||Bemidji State Beavers||CHA||36||9||18||27||37||—||—||—||—||—|
|2008–09||Bemidji State Beavers||CHA||37||15||25||40||50||—||—||—||—||—|
|2009–10||Bemidji State Beavers||CHA||37||19||22||41||32||—||—||—||—||—|
|2010–11||Bemidji State Beavers||WCHA||37||22||13||35||34||—||—||—||—||—|
|Senior int'l totals||8||1||2||3||2|
- "Flyers Sign BSU's Read". Philadelphia Flyers. 2011-03-24. Retrieved 2011-03-24.
- Seravalli, Frank (2012-01-27). "Read's Travels are Taking Him to All-Star Skills Event". Philadelphia Daily News. Retrieved 2012-01-28.
- BroadStreet (2013-01-03). "Matt Read signs lockout contract with Swedish club Södertälje ...". BroadStreet Bully. Retrieved 2012-01-28.