Melissa Febos (born September 28, 1980) is an American writer and former dominatrix. She is the author of Whip Smart (2010), a memoir of her work as a professional dominatrix while she was studying at The New School.
Early life and education
Febos grew up in Falmouth, Massachusetts. Her father was a sea captain, and her mother a therapist. She left home at sixteen after passing the GED, moved to Boston, and work at an assortment of jobs including as a boatyard hand and as a chambermaid. She attended night courses at Harvard Extension School, then enrolled in The New School and moved to New York City in August 1999. She later earned an MFA at Sarah Lawrence College.
Febos is the co-curator, with Rebecca Keith, of the monthly Mixer Reading and Music series on the Lower East Side. A three-time MacDowell Colony fellow, she has received fellowships from Virginia Center for the Creative Arts, Vermont Studio Center, and the Bread Loaf Writers' Conference. Her essays have won awards from Prairie Schooner and StoryQuarterly, and she is on the Board of Directors of Vida: Women in Literary Arts. She has taught at SUNY Purchase College, the Gotham Writers' Workshop, The New School, Sarah Lawrence College, New York University, and Utica College. She currently teaches at Monmouth University.
Febos has contributed to publications such as The New York Times, Salon, Bomb (magazine), Hunger Mountain, Prairie Schooner, The Kenyon Review, Post Road, Dissent, The Southeast Review, Redivider, The Rambler, The Huffington Post, Bitch Magazine and The Chronicle of Higher Education.
Whip Smart resulted in a front-page appearance on the cover of the New York Post, a feature interview on NPR's radio program Fresh Air with Terry Gross, a guest appearance on Anderson Cooper's talk show, and an appearance on CNN's Dr. Drew show.
- Rohin Guha. ‘Whip Smart’’s Melissa Febos on Diets, Dudes and Dominatrix-ing, Black Book Mag, Feb 23, 2010
- Alyssa Fetini Friday, Inside the Secret World of a Dominatrix, Time Magazine, March 19, 2010
- Susannah Cahalan, A fine line between pleasure and pain, The Daily Telegraph February 27, 2010.
- Alicia Rancilio, Melissa Febos' `Whip Smart' describes her life as a dominatrix, Washington Examiner, March 12, 2010
- Dave Rosenthal. Melissa Febos' Whip Smart, The Baltimore Sun, March 8, 2010
- 'Whip Smart': Memoirs Of A Dominatrix, NPR, March 8, 2010. Interview
- "Rebecca Keith - The Rumpus.net". The Rumpus. Retrieved 29 July 2011.
- Wayne D. McMurray School of Humanities and Social Sciences
|This article about an American journalist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|