|Melissa de la Cruz
September 7, 1971 |
||Young Adult and teen Fiction
Melissa de la Cruz (born 1971) is an American author, known for her work in young-adult fiction. Her works include the Au Pair series of novels and the Blue Bloods series.
Early life and education
Melissa de la Cruz spent her early years in Manila, Philippines and immigrated to the United States with her family when she was 12. Her father was an investment banker. The family settled in San Francisco, where she graduated from Convent of the Sacred Heart High School. She went on to study art history and English at Columbia University in New York City.
Her work as a nanny and her visits to The Hamptons formed the background for book series, The Au Pairs.
Her work as a fashion writer for Marie Claire was the inspiration for How to Become Famous in Two Weeks or Less which she co-authored with Karen Robinovitz.
- Au Pairs – The first book in this series about three young girls working as au pairs in The Hamptons, The Au Pairs, was published in 2004
- Blue Bloods – The first book in this vampire novel series, Blue Bloods was published in March 2006
- The Ashleys – The first book in this series about girls in an exclusive preparatory school, The Ashleys: There's a New Name in School, was published in 2008
- The Beauchamp Family - The first book in the series about a family of witches, Witches of East End, was released in June 2011. This series has been picked up by Lifetime for a 2013 airing.
- Wolf Pact - This spin-off from the Blue Bloods series was released from September to December 2012 as four short e-books
- Heart of Dread - The first novel from this brand new series, Frozen, co-written with her husband Michael Johnston, was released on September 17, 2013
- There's a New Name in School... (2008)
- Jealous? You Know You Are... (2008)
- Birthday Vicious (2008)
- Lipgloss Jungle (2008)
- The Au Pairs (2004)
- Skinny Dipping (2005)
- Sun-Kissed (2006)
- Crazy Hot (2007)
The Beauchamp Family
- Prequel: Diary of the White Witch (June 12, 2012)
- Witches of East End (June 21, 2011)
- Serpent's Kiss (June 12, 2012)
- Winds of Salem (August 13, 2013)
- Blue Bloods (2006)
- Masquerade (2007)
- Revelations (2008)
- The Van Alen Legacy (2009)
- Misguided Angel (2010)
- Lost in Time (2011)
- Gates of Paradise (2013)
- Vampires of Manhattan (2014)
Blue Bloods Novellas
- Keys to the Repository (2010)
- Bloody Valentine (2010)
Heart of Dread
- Frozen (September 17, 2013)
- Cat's Meow (2001)
- How to Become Famous in Two Weeks or Less (co-author) (2003)
- The Fashionista Files: Adventures in Four-Inch Heels and Faux Pas (2004)
- Fresh off the Boat (2005)
- Angels on Sunset Boulevard (2007)
- Girl Stays in the Picture (2009)
- Wolf Pact (2012)
De la Cruz is married to Michael Johnston, and lives in Los Angeles and Palm Springs, California with her family.
- ^ Reading, Pennsylvania Public Library, Young Adult Department. Author of the Month: Melissa de la Cruz retrieved 2010-10-03
- ^ New York, Volume 34, 2001, p. 14
- ^ melissa-delacruz.com. About Melissa retrieved 2010-10-03
- ^ Jacobson, Aileen. "Teen chick lit finds a niche, often with racy prose". St. Louis Post Dispatch via Newsday, 2 June 2004 retrieved 2010-10-03. (Quote: "Melissa de la Cruz has been a nanny and she's been to the Hamptons She combined the two experiences to help her write The Au Pairs a chick lit novel...")
- ^ Critchell, Samantha, "Fashion Followers Write The Book On Achieving Fame", Tuscaloosa News via Associated Press, 27 July 2003, p. 4E retrieved 2010-10-03
- ^ Olson, Amy. "Blue Bloods" (Review of talking book edition), School Library Journal, 10 February 2009
- ^ Lifetime Orders ‘The Secret Lives Of Wives’, ‘Witches Of East End’ Pilots
- ^ http://www.us.penguingroup.com/nf/Book/BookDisplay/0,,9780399257544,00.html
- ^ Green, Penelope (November 14, 2004). "Love and Ruin". New York Times. Retrieved 3 November 2012.
- ^ Parks, Joy (June 3, 2007). "Dishing on straight girls and their gay boyfriends". SF Gate. Retrieved 3 November 2012.
- ^ http://melissa-delacruz.com/index.php/diary/entry/i_wanna_be_sedated/
- ^ http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/authors/interviews/article/58518-q-a-with-melissa-de-la-cruz-and-michael-johnston.html
- ^ http://melissa-delacruz.com/index.php/info/about