|Studio album by A-ha|
|Released||14 June 1993|
|Label||Warner Bros. 9362-45229-2|
|Producer||A-ha, Pål Waaktaar, David Z|
|Singles from Memorial Beach|
Memorial Beach is the fifth album by Norwegian band A-ha, released in 1993.
The album was recorded primarily at Prince's Paisley Park studios outside Minneapolis in the U.S. Featured among the tracks is "Angel in the Snow", a song Paul wrote for his bride, Lauren Savoy, as a wedding gift, and the eight-minute epic "Cold as Stone". Recording the album was, according to Harket, "A rather dark and heavy period for the band", although Magne has said, "I dig Memorial Beach, and 'Dark is the Night for All' is the high point, the best thing on the disc."
Memorial Beach featured three more top 50 singles for the band in the UK, "Move to Memphis", "Dark is the Night" and "Angel in the Snow". While the album did not chart on the Billboard 200 and would be the band's last to be released in the U.S., the single "Dark Is the Night" peaked at #11 on the Billboard Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles chart, their last U.S. charting to date.
JD and Jevetta Steele from the American gospel group The Steeles contribute backing vocals on the songs "Move to Memphis" and "Lie Down in Darkness" as does the singer Kathy Wilson. French actress Béatrice Dalle appears in the music video for the song "Move to Memphis". Furthermore, British indie band Memorial Beach named themselves after the album.
Some lyrics from "Locust" were reused on the 2004 Savoy single "Whalebone".
All tracks written by Pål Waaktaar unless noted otherwise:
- "Dark Is the Night for All" – 3:46
- "Move to Memphis" – 4:22 (Pål Waaktaar/Magne Furuholmen)
- "Cold as Stone" – 8:19
- "Angel in the Snow" – 4:13
- "Locust" – 5:09
- "Lie Down in Darkness" – 4:32
- "How Sweet It Was" – 6:00
- "Lamb to the Slaughter" – 4:20 (Magne Furuholmen)
- "Between Your Mama and Yourself" – 4:16
- "Memorial Beach" – 4:36
- J.B. Bogeberg - bass
- Per Hillestad - drums
- J.D. Steele - backing vocals on (2, 6)
- Jevetta Steele - backing vocals (2, 6)
- Kathy Wilson - backing vocals (2, 6)
- "Move to Memphis", UK #47
- "Dark Is the Night for All", UK #19, US #111
- "Angel in the Snow", UK #41