Michael Grimm (musician)
Michael Grimm performing in Los Angeles
December 30, 1979 |
Fort Carson, Colorado
|Origin||Waveland, Mississippi, U.S.|
|Labels||Mattikay Music LLC (2007-2010)
Michael Joseph Grimm (born December 30, 1979) is an American singer/songwriter and winner of the fifth season of America's Got Talent.
Grimm was born in Colorado on the Fort Carson base, moved to Slidell, Louisiana, but later raised in Waveland, Mississippi. He currently resides in Henderson, Nevada. He was raised by his grandparents in Mississippi.
Making good on a promise, America's Got Talent (AGT) winner Grimm proposed on September 16, 2010, to Lucie Zolcerova, his girlfriend of nearly three years, during a taping of The Ellen DeGeneres Show which was aired on September 17, 2010.
Grimm, a Mississippi Southern Soul singer who won the $1 million AGT first prize in its 5th season, is using some of his winnings to build his grandparents a new house. During the AGT finals, he revealed that his girlfriend, Lucie, was the inspiration for his performance of "When a Man Loves a Woman". "She's been there for me," Grimm told DeGeneres during the show, which aired the following day. "Once you find that good woman you hang on to her." While interviewing him, DeGeneres called Lucie down from the audience, and Grimm got on one knee to propose. Her answer was a swift "Yes".
America's Got Talent
Grimm auditioned in Los Angeles for the fifth season of America's Got Talent aired on June 1, 2010. His audition received praise from all three judges, advancing him to Vegas Week. During Vegas week, his performance of "Try a Little Tenderness" was criticized by Piers Morgan for being way over 90 seconds and could have gotten him disqualified. He still advanced to the quarterfinals. His quarterfinal performance, "Tired of Being Alone," was once again praised, and advanced to the semifinals. Earlier in the show, Sharon Osbourne commented that her husband Ozzy Osbourne was rooting for Grimm. Grimm performed "You Can Leave Your Hat On" during semifinals while recovering from a dehydration related illness. Despite the illness, he managed to deliver a performance that was once again praised by the judges, and he advanced to the finals. After performing "Let's Stay Together" in the Top 10 without his guitar, he advanced to the Top 4. In the finale on September 14, 2010, he performed "When a Man Loves a Woman" pointing to his girlfriend, Lucie, in the audience. The following day, it was revealed that Grimm won the show, beating child singer Jackie Evancho.
Performances and results
|Week||Theme||Song choice||Original artist||Performance order||Result|
|Audition||Los Angeles||"You Don't Know Me"||Eddy Arnold||N/A||Safe|
|Vegas Week||Male Singers||"Try a Little Tenderness"||Ray Noble Orchestra (with vocals by Val Rosing)||5||Safe|
|Top 48||Quarterfinals||"Tired of Being Alone"||Al Green||12||Safe|
|Top 24||Semifinals||"You Can Leave Your Hat On"||Randy Newman||10||Safe|
|Top 10||Top Ten Finals||"Let's Stay Together"||Al Green||7||Safe|
|Top 4||Finale||"When a Man Loves a Woman"||Percy Sledge||2||WINNER|
Grimm's winnings included one million dollars (before taxes and reduction for lump sum payment) and the opportunity to headline the AGT Tour Show, including one show at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas on October 8, 2010. In September 2010, Grimm appeared on The Ellen DeGeneres Show and proposed to his girlfriend of nearly three years, Lucie Zolcerova. The AGT Tour Show stopped in 25 cities, beginning October 1 and ending November 7, 2010, where Grimm performed with other top ten contestants of the fifth season of AGT.
On June 1, 2011, Grimm married his fiancée, Lucie Zolcerova, in a small private ceremony in Maui, Hawaii. The ceremony was held on the beach at the Makena beach & golf resort maui in front of about 30 family members. Andres Delos Santos and Nate Martin from "Ten Feet" along with Kevin and Dawn Okimoto and Alex Pula entertained the party, backing the newlyweds as they serenaded each other with their favorite song, "Islands in The Stream." Bill Medley of the Righteous Brothers was in attendance.
On March 24, 2011, Grimm returned to The Ellen DeGeneres Show to promote his upcoming self-titled album and perform his newly released single (March 22, 2011) "Fallin'" written and recorded by Alicia Keys in 2002. The album debuted at #13 on US Pop Music Charts on May 26, 2011, selling 23,000 copies. According to the Billboard Top 200, his album was #13 the week of June 4, 2011.
|2007||Michael Grimm Live||—||—||—||—||—|
|2009||I Am Michael Grimm
|2010||Leave Your Hat On
|"—" denotes the album did not chart.|
|Year||Single||Peak chart positions||Album|
|"—" denotes a title that did not chart, or was not released in that territory.|
|2011||"I Am"||Andrew Deerin|
- "Michael's Grimmlins: True, Dedicated fans of MG's". Retrieved 2010-12-06.
- "Niet compatibele browser". Facebook. Retrieved 2010-09-16.
- Di Nunzio, Miriam. "Michael Grimm: 'I am not an American Idol'", Chicago Sun-Times, August 22, 2011, accessed January 16, 2012
- "America's Got Talent's Michael Grimm Proposes to Girlfriend on TV". Seattlepi.com. 2009-10-29. Retrieved 2010-09-17.[dead link]
- Catlin, Roger. "Four More Go to 'Talent' Semifinals - Roger Catlin | TV Eye". Blogs.courant.com. Retrieved 2010-09-16.
- Exton, Emily (2010-07-22). "'America's Got Talent': The suspense is killing us | EW.com". Popwatch.ew.com. Retrieved 2010-09-16.
- "America's Got Talent - First Semi-Final Contestants Take the Stage! | CMR". Current-movie-reviews.com. 2010-08-24. Retrieved 2010-09-16.
- "'America's Got Talent': Prince Poppycock's 'Bohemian Rhapsody' steals the show - It Happened Last Night - Zap2it". Blog.zap2it.com. Retrieved 2010-09-16.
- "Male Singers Compete ~ America's Got Talent Vegas Week Day-1". YouTube. Retrieved 2010-09-16.
- Fleeman, Mike. "America's Got Talent Winner Proposes to Girlfriend – on TV! - Engagements, America's Got Talent, The Ellen DeGeneres Show". People.com. Retrieved 2010-09-17.
- "Michael Grimm proposes to girlfriend on 'Ellen' after winning 'America's Got Talent' - The Dish Rag - Zap2it". Blog.zap2it.com. Retrieved 2010-09-17.
- "Michael Grimm says he feels blessed to be a part of 'America's Got Talent,' hitting Caesars today - Entertainment / Neon - ReviewJournal.com". Lvrj.com. 2010-10-08. Retrieved 2010-11-14.
- "'America's Got Talent's' Michael Grimm signs Epic record deal - From Inside the Box - Zap2it". Blog.zap2it.com. 2010-09-29. Retrieved 2010-11-14.
- "America's Got Talent's Michael Grimm Plans Album Release <Top Story ::Michael Grimm News". antiMusic.com. Retrieved 2010-11-14.
- "Winner of NBC's America's Got Talent Michael Grimm Set to Release Album... - NEW YORK, Nov. 2, 2010 /PRNewswire/". New York: Prnewswire.com. 2010-11-02. Retrieved 2010-11-14.
- "Concert Raises More Than $1 Million for Charity". Beanstalkbiz.blogspot.com. 2010-12-06. Retrieved 2011-03-14.
- Ng, Philiana (2011-08-25). "'America's Got Talent' Snags Nicki Minaj, Tony Bennett and Susan Boyle". The Hollywood Reporter.
- "Michael Grimm | Michael Grimm Live". CD Baby. Retrieved 2011-05-21.
- "Michael Grimm | I Am Michael Grimm". CD Baby. Retrieved 2010-09-16.
- "Michael Grimm | Leave Your Hat On". CD Baby. Retrieved 2010-09-16.
- "Tbd: Michael Grimm: Music". Amazon.com. 2009-09-09. Retrieved 2011-03-14.
- Official website
- Michael Grimm on Myspace
- Video interview with Michael Grimm on Talktails (Vegas Video Network)
- September 2012 feature about Grimm in Las Vegas Weekly
|America's Got Talent winner
Season 5 (Summer 2010)
Landau Eugene Murphy, Jr.