Mickey and the Seal
|Mickey and The Seal|
|Mickey Mouse series|
|Directed by||Charles Nichols|
|Produced by||Walt Disney|
|Story by||Nick George
|Voices by||James MacDonald
Pinto Colvig (both uncredited)
|Music by||Oliver Wallace|
|Animation by||Phil Duncan
|Layouts by||Karl Karpé|
|Backgrounds by||Ralph Hulett|
|Distributed by||RKO Radio Pictures|
|Release date(s)||December 3, 1948 (USA)|
|Running time||6:38 (one reel)|
Mickey and the Seal is a cartoon short created by Walt Disney in 1948. It was nominated for Academy Award for Animated Short Film, but lost to Tom and Jerry cartoon The Little Orphan. This cartoon was featured in the video game Disney's Magical Mirror Starring Mickey Mouse.
Mickey Mouse visits the seal exhibit at a zoo. He makes the seals perform tricks by feeding them fish. One young seal escapes from the exhibit to get more fish and ends up inside Mickey's basket. Mickey takes the basket home, where Pluto is begging for food. When Mickey puts the basket down, Pluto goes to investigate but is hit on the nose by the seal's flippers. Pluto tries to tell Mickey what happened, but Mickey can't understand him. While this is happening, the seal escapes from the basket and Pluto chases it, only to get his head stuck inside the basket. He blunders around and in the process, makes a mess of the kitchen. An angry Mickey orders Pluto out of the house, despite Pluto's attempts to tell what he was chasing.
When Mickey goes to the bathroom to take a bath, he doesn't notice the seal hop into the tank just before him. Completely unaware of what's around him, Mickey ends up scrubbing the seal's head with his brush instead of his back, which he intended to clean. Mickey eventually realizes that he's not scrubbing himself, but still can't see the seal behind him. The seal then begins scrubbing Mickey's head, which makes Mickey puzzled. Pluto later comes to the window and tries to tell Mickey again, but Mickey shuts the shade. When the seal takes his scrubbing brush, Mickey tries to get it back, only grab the seal by mistake and YELLS WITH FRIGHT upon seeing it! After jumping out of the, Mickey drains the water out of the tub. Only then, with the water all gone, does Mickey realize there is a seal in the tub.
Despite Mickey's orders to stay outside, an angry Pluto storms in and crashes into the tub. Pluto tries to attack the seal after Mickey introduces him to it and later becomes alarmed when Mickey decides to keep it as a pet. Mickey, understanding that Pluto won't like it, eventually decides to take the seal back to the zoo. After dropping it off, the seal shows the other seals the things it learned about Pluto. When Mickey comes home he and Pluto find that all the seals have moved into their house and are using the bathroom and bathtub as their personal exhibit and pool, respectively. The young seal then waves goodbye from the shower, which concludes the cartoon.
- 1948 – theatrical release
- 1956 – Disneyland, episode #3.11: "At Home with Donald Duck" (TV)
- 1968 – Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color, episode #15.11: "The Mickey Mouse Anniversary Show"
- c. 1983 – Good Morning, Mickey!, episode #38 (TV)
- 1983 – "Cartoon Classics: Disney's Best of 1931-1948" (VHS)
- 1988 – "Cartoon Classics: Special Edition" (VHS)
- c. 1992 – Mickey's Mouse Tracks, episode #45 (TV)
- c. 1992 – Donald's Quack Attack, episode #36 (TV)
- 1998 – "The Spirit of Mickey" (VHS)
- c. 2000 – Walt Disney World TVs (TV)
- 2002 – House of Mouse, episode #2.9: "King Larry Swings In" (TV)
- 2004 – "Mickey Mouse in Living Color, Volume Two" (DVD)
- 2006 – "Funny Factory with Mickey" (DVD)
- 2009 – Have a Laugh!, episode #1 (TV)
- 2010 – "Have a Laugh! Volume One" (DVD)