Ministry of National Defense (Republic of Korea)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009)|
|Ministry of National Defense of the Republic of Korea|
|Formed||15 August 1948|
|Jurisdiction||Government of South Korea|
|Headquarters||Yongsan-gu, Seoul, South Korea|
|Agency executives||Kim Kwan-jin, Minister
Lee Young-geol, Vice Minister
The Ministry of National Defense (MND) is a department within the government of South Korea and responsible for the military branches of South Korea. It was established on 15 August 1948 and located at Yongsan-dong, Yongsan-gu, Seoul.
In April 2012, MND appointed entertainer Rain, who is serving as a PR agent for the Defense Media Agency, as Honorary Ambassador of Military for the duration of his service. Previous ambassador were actors Lee Dong Gun and Seo Ji-seok.
- Military Manpower Agency
- Defence Acquisition Program Administration
- Defense Media Agency
- Korean Forces Network (Friends TV, 96.7 Friends FM)
The following all served as PR agents at the Defense Media Agency.
- Boom: 29 October 2009 and discharged on 22 August 2011 by the Defense Media Agency, where he has been serving as a PR agent.
- Andy of Shinhwa: 11 January 2010 (21 months) - five weeks of basic training followed by active duty with the Agency. Discharged on 31 October 2011.
- Lee Dong-gun: 15 June 2010 (21 months) at the 102 Reserves in Chuncheon, Gangwon-do for four weeks of basic training. This was followed by active duty with he Defense Media Agency. and was appointed Honorary Ambassador of Military. He was discharged on 28 March 2012.
- Mithra Jin of Epik High: 3 August 2010 (21 months) - active duty at the 102 reserve in Chuncheon, then served as an infantry rifle soldier, a member of the military band and a GOP soldier, and finally at the Defense Media Agency (DEMA). He was discharged on 14 May 2012.
- Rain: 11 October 2011 (for 21 months) at the 306th Army draft camp in Uijeongbu, Gyeonggi-do province. In March 2012, Rain was transfer to the Defense Media Agency and in April he was appointed Honorary Ambassador of Military.
- August 2010: Actors Lee Joon-gi and Ju Ji-hoon co-starred in military musical, Voyage of Life. The musical, to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the Korean War, was co-produced by the Ministry and Korea Musical Theatre Association. It ran from 21 to 29 August the National Theater of Korea.
- January 2013: The Ministry again with Korea Musical Theatre Association produced another military musical The Promise, to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the signing of an armistice. It ran from 9 to 20 January at the National Theater of Korea, starring actors Ji Hyun-woo, Kim Mu-yeol, Jung Tae-woo; as well as singers Leeteuk of Super Junior, Yoon Hak of Supernova, and Lee Hyun of 8Eight. The musical is centered around a group of soldiers who keeps a promise made to each other during the 6.25 war.
- Conscription in South Korea
- Republic of Korea Armed Forces
- Republic of Korea Army (ROKA)
- Republic of Korea Navy (ROKN)
- Republic of Korea Marine Corps (ROKMC)
- Republic of Korea Air Force (ROKAF)
- "History of Ministry of National Defense" ROK Ministry of National Defense Retrieved 2012-04-11
- Oh, MiJung "Rain Appointed Honorary Ambassador of Military" CJ E&M enewsWorld. 11 April 2012. Retrieved 2012-04-11
- "Lee Jin-wook Completes Military Service" Chosun Ilbo. 8 March 2011. Retrieved 2011-10-14
- "Super Junior and Jay Park Visit Boom". enewsWorld. CJ E&M enewsWorld. 22 August 2011. Retrieved 29 May 2012.
- "Singer Andy to Start Military Service" Chosun Ilbo. 5 January 2010. Retrieved 2011-11-05
- "Andy of the group Shinhwa speak to fans after completing his mandatory military service in Yongsan, Seoul on Monday" Chosun Ilbo. 1 November 2011. Retrieved 2011-11-05
- "Lee Jun-ki to Start Military Service". The Chosun Ilbo. 30 April 2010. Retrieved 2010-12-24.
- "Actor Lee Jun-ki Ready for Comeback After Military Service" The Chosun Ilbo. 17 February 2012. Retrieved 2012-02-21
- Ko, Jae-wan (15 June 2010). "Lee Dong-gun enters military Korean military". 10 Asia. Retrieved 4 April 2013.
- "Lee Dong-gun Completes Military Service". Chosun Ilbo. 29 March 2012. Retrieved 2012-03-30.
- Oh, MiJung (14 May 2012). "Epik High’s Mithra Jin Released from Army". Mnet News. Retrieved 16 May 2012.
- "South Korean singer Rain reports for military service" BBC News. 11 October 2011. Retrieved 2011-10-14
- "Teardrops Fall as Rain Enlists in Army" Chosun Ilbo. 12 October 2011. Retrieved 2011-10-13
- Jang, Kyung-Jin (3 August 2010). "Lee Jun-ki says "depressed about Joo Ji-hoon turning first private today" (2)". 10 Asia. Retrieved 10 December 2012.
- Lee, Jin-hyuk (3 August 2010). "Lee Jun-ki attends musical "Voyage of Life" press conf". 10 Asia. Retrieved 10 December 2012.
- "Star-Studded Army Musical to Open in January". Chosun Ilbo. 28 December 2012. Retrieved 4 April 2013.
- Hong, Grace Danbi (12 December 2012). "Super Junior’s Leeteuk and Ji Hyun Woo Participate in Army Musical". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 4 April 2013.
- Kim, Eun-jung (8 February 2012). "Constitutional Court upholds ban on 'seditious books' in military". Yonhap News. Retrieved 2012-02-08.
- Bae, Ji-sook (7 February 2012). "Military to screen all mobile apps". Korean Herald. Retrieved 2012-02-08.