||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (October 2007)|
|Elevation||143 m (469 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Mohanur is a Town panchayat in the Namakkal district of the Indian state Tamil Nadu. The Mohanur Panchyat Union includes Mohanur Town, Pettapalayam, Manappalli, Rasipalayam, Kumarapalayam, Sengappalli, Ediyar, Perumandam Palayam, Ariyur, Aniyapuram, and Valayapatti. It is linked to Tiruchirappalli, Salem, Erode, and Karur by Road.
Mohanur is a town panchyat situated at the southernmost part of Namakkal district, on the bank of river Cauvery. It is located at  It has an average elevation (MSL) of 143 metres (469 feet). Located near Namakkal (18 km) and Karur (13 km), the special feature of Mohanur is that it is the only place where the river Cauvery runs from north to south. It is also famous for historic temples which are visited by lakhs of Hindus from all over the state. The Salem Co-Operative sugar mill is located in Mohanur. Navaladiyan Kovil which is located in the border of Mohanur and Kumaripalayam..
As of 2001[update] India census, Mohanur had a population of 12,468. Males constitute 50% of the population and females 50%. Mohanur has an average literacy rate of 74%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 81% and female literacy is 66%. In Mohanur, 9% of the population is under 6 years of age. Mohanur is a town with many schools and a college. There is a police station for the nearby villages. It also has many hospitals. The broad gauge railway line from Salem to Karur passes through this place. Construction of this line is under progress now.Mohanur to Vangal Bus route Bridge also construction under progress.
Several reasons are offered for the origin of the name.
- One reason given is that the people of this region worked as middle men or agents in the ancient era. Mugavar is the term in Tamizh for agents. So the place came to be known as Mugavanur which derived later on as Moganur.
- Another reason is that Lord Shiva wanted to see the reincarnation of Lord Vishnu as a woman i.e. Mohini, here in this location.
- Another reason goes that once all the heavenly devas went in search of Lord Shiva accompanied by Ganga. But he was alone there. So they started their search for Ganga and went to Lord Muruga. He too started to search her. Searching for her, they reached Madurai where Madurai Meenakshi directed them towards north near Cauvery. Lord Muruga came to Cauvery, yet didn’t find her. So He went on a severe meditation on her. Ganga appeared in front of him. She was so overwhelmed by his motherly love and hugged him. Since the mother-son love between them was found here, the place was called Maganur. Magan means "son" in Tamizh. Maganur later derived as Mohanur.
- Govt.Hr.Sec. School (Govt Boys Hr.Sec.School) is one of the oldest schools in Mohanur. This school wins a lot of prizes at the district level sports events.
- SCSM Matriculation Hr Sec School located in Salem Co-Operative Suger Mill Ltd,is an English Medium School started during the 1980s especially to provide an opportunity for the students of farmers around Mohanur
- Kalaimagal Matriculation School,Rasipalayam
- Rasi Matriculation School
- SCSM Polytechnic
- Subramaniam college
- Govt.Girls Hr. Sec. School having strength 1100
- Sarojini Vidhyalaya Matriculation School
- SCSM Poly Technic College
Mohanur is also known as Namakkal's Temple City. In Mohanur, the following temples are there:
1. Sri Balathandayuthapani Temple [Lord Murugan]
2. Sri Bagavathi Amman Temple
3. Sri Draupathi Amman Temple
4. Sri Arulmigu Mariyamman Temple
5. Sri Navaladi Karuppannaswami Temple
6. Sri Valliyamman Temple - Mohanur To know more http://srivalliammantemple.com/history.htm
7. Sri Kallyana prasanna venkateswarar Temple - Mohanur
8. Sri Asalla Deepeshwarar(Lord Siva) Temple - Mohanur
9. Sri Ragavendrar Temple - Mohanur
10.Sri Raja Naga LakshmiAmman Temple(LordSnake) - Mohanur
12.Sri Sellandiyamman Temple-Oruvandhur
13. sri kurikarakaruppannaswami temple
14. Sri Kamatchiamman temple
Infrastructure and Facilities
Mohanur is well connected by roads to Namakkal (North), Paramathy Velur (West), Valayapatti (East) and Kattuputhur (Southeast). The southern side is bordered by the Cauvery river(Karur Disrcit Border).
From Mohanur To Namkkal, 4.30 AM to 11 PM, for every 15 mins, Govt and Private Buses are running.
From Mohanur To P.Velur, 5.00 AM to 9.30 PM, for every 20 mins, Govt and Private Buses are running.
From Mohanur To Kattuputhur, Govt and Private Buses are available
From Mohanur To Valayapatty, Govt and Private Buses are available
From Mohanur To Chennai, Govt Bus are available at 8.30 PM
From Mohanur To Chennai, MGM(Semi sleeper) Buses are available at(8.45 & 9.15 PM)
From Mohanur To Palani, Govt Buses are available Kiruthigai Special
From Mohanur To Chennai,Dolphin Travells (A/c Semi Sleeper,VOLVO)available at 9.30
From Mohanur To Trichy direct bues are available
From Mohanur To Thuraiyur, Mubarak bus available
Train Timings at Mohanur Railway Station.
16001 - Chennai Palani Express - Daily - 03:12 AM
16002 - Palani Chennai Express - Daily - 09:25 PM
56105 - Salem Karur Passenger - Expect Sunday - 07:17 AM
56106 - Karur Salem Passenger - Except Sunday - 08:40 AM
56107 - Salem Karur Passenger - Expect Sunday - 06:47 PM
56108 - Karur Salem Passenger - Except Sunday - 08:05 PM
Govt. Hospital, Located at Valayapatty and Katuputhur road junction.
Malar Hospital, Located at Namakkal main road [opp Telephone Exchange]
KJ Hospital, Located at Namakkal main road [opp bus stand]
Thanarasa Hospital ( Dr.Thirunavukarasu ), Located Near Bhagavathi Amman Kovil
Dr. Palanivelu Clinic, Located Near Bhagavathi Amman Koil
SCSM Hospital (only for SCSM Employees)
Dr.P.Karunanithi Clinic, Located Near Bus stand
Dr.Ramesh and Dr.Nithya Ramesh -Kandamalai Hospital located near by Bus Stand
Private and government ambulance (108) facilities available. An ambulance is available near the bus stand.
Sub-Registrar Office are located in Kalaivani Nagar.
Banks and ATM
IDBI, Canara, K.V.B banks are operating their ATM services
SBI bank located Namakkal Road (opposite to Telephone exchange) and SBI - ATM near Mohanur bus stand
LVB ATM located in velur road, CANARA BANK ATM located near pagavathi amman temple. K.V.B bank and ATM Located near police station opp-site
Mobile Network Coverage
Mohanur has good mobile network coverage provided by the following mobile operators: Vodafone, Aircel, AirTel, BSNL, Reliance, Tata docomo, Uninor, MTS, and Idea.
- Venkatarama Ramalingam Pillai (Namakkal Kavingar)
- N. Chandrasekaran,CEO and MD of Tata Consultancy Services, born and brought up in Mohanur
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Mohanur
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- http://travel.bhushavali.com/search?q=mohanur. Retrieved 2012-06-27