Mohsen Mostafavi is an Iranian-American architect and educator. He is the Dean and Alexander and Victoria Wiley Professor at the Harvard Graduate School of Design. He has been the Gale and Ira Drukier Dean of the College of Architecture, Art and Planning at Cornell University, and the Chairman of the Architectural Association School of Architecture in London.
Dean Mostafavi serves on the steering committee of the Aga Khan Award for Architecture, the board of the Van Alen Institute, and on numerous university committees including the Harvard University Committee on Common Spaces. He has served on the design committee of the London Development Agency (LDA), the RIBA Gold Medal, the Head of the Holcim Awards jury for Europe in 2005, a Member of the Global jury in 2006, a Member of the jury for North America in 2008, the Head of the jury for North America and is currently involved as a consultant on a number of international architectural and urban projects.
Mostafavi received a diploma in architecture from the AA in 1976 and undertook research on Counter-Reformation urban history at the Universities of Essex and Cambridge. Previously, he was Director of the Master of Architecture I Program at Harvard University's Graduate School of Design. Mostafavi has also taught at the University of Pennsylvania, Cambridge University, and the Frankfurt Academy of Fine Arts (Städelschule).
His research and design projects have been published in many journals, including The Architectural Review, AAFiles, Arquitectura, Bauwelt, Casabella, Centre, and Daidalos. Some of his publications include: On Weathering: The Life of Buildings in Time (with David Leatherbarrow, MIT, 1993) recipient of the American Institute of Architects prize for writing on architectural theory; Approximations (AA/MIT, 2002); Surface Architecture (MIT, 2002) recipient of the CICA Bruno Zevi Book Award; Logique Visuelle (Idea Books, 2003), Landscape Urbanism: A Manual for the Machinic Landscape (AA Publications, 2004), Structure as Space (AA Publications, 2006), and Ecological Urbanism (Lars Müller Publishers 2010)
- "On Weathering: The Life of Buildings In Time" with David Leatherbarrow (MIT Press, 1993), Recipient of American Institute of Architects Commendation 1994, Japanese edition: Kajima Institute Publishing Co Ltd., Tokyo 1999, Turkish Edition: Zaman İçinde Mimari, Ötüken Nesriyat A.S. Istanbul, 2005
- "Manuel Brullet" with Josep Quetglas (G. Gili, 1998).
- '"Enriching Identities" The Architecture of Laurie Baker', (a+u, No. 32, December 2000).
- "Approximations: The Architecture of Peter Märkli" (editor and contributor) (MIT Press, 2002).
- "Landscape Urbanism: A Manual for the Machinic Landscape" (AA Publications, 2003).
- "Surface Architecture" with David Leatherbarrow (MIT Press, 2005).
- "Architecture is Not Made with the Brain: The Labour of Alison & Peter Smithson" (editor and contributor), (AA Publications, London, 2005).
- "Mathematical Form: John Pickering and the Architecture of the Inversion Principle"(editor and contributor), (Architectural Association, 2006).
- Structure as Space: Engineering and Architecture in the Works of Jürg Conzett and his Partners" (editor and contributor) (AA Publications, 2006).
- "Ecological Urbanism" (Lars Müller Publishers 2010).
- "Louis Vuitton Architecture and Interiors" (Rizzoli International, 2011).
- "Implicate Explicate; The Aga Khan Award for Architecture" (Lars Müller Publishers 2011).