Mouth of the Architect
|Mouth of the Architect|
Mouth of the Architect performing at High Five
|Origin||Dayton, Ohio, United States|
|Past members||Alex Vernon
Mouth of the Architect is an American atmospheric post-metal band from Dayton, Ohio, creating music influenced by and similar to Neurosis, Isis, Pelican, Cult of Luna, and various post-metal bands.
Mouth of the Architect formed in 2003 with the lineup of Jason Watkins, Gregory Lahm, Dave Mann, Alex Vernon, and Derik Sommer. They released their first album Time and Withering in 2004 to positive reviews.
Soon after the band released a split with label mates Kenoma in 2006, Vernon left, leaving Lahm to record all the guitar parts on their second album The Ties That Blind which was released in August, and featured Brent Hinds of Mastodon on guest vocals on one track, and bass from Brian Cook of Botch, Russian Circles, and These Arms are Snakes. To support The Ties That Blind, the band toured extensively around the United States, first with These Arms Are Snakes in late 2006, then with 400 Blows and Unsane in May and June 2007.
Their latest album, Quietly, was recorded after Lahm in turn left the band, with Vernon returning alongside newcomer Steve Brooks to jointly handle guitars and vocals, with Kevin Schindel providing bass. Soon after the release of the album by Translation Loss Records, Vernon left yet again, with Schindel filling the guitar void.
Schindel, Vernon, Mann and Brooks have been members of the band Twelve Tribes at various points in the past.
- Time and Withering CD (2004, Translation Loss)
- split EP with Kenoma (2006, Translation Loss)
- The Ties That Blind CD (2006, Translation Loss)
- For the Sick (Eyehategod tribute album, 2007, Emetic Records)
- Quietly CD (July 22, 2008, Translation Loss)
- The Violence Beneath EP (April 17, 2010, Translation Loss)
- Dawning CD (June 25, 2013, Translation Loss)
- Jason Watkins – vocals, keyboards, samples
- Dave Mann – drums
- Steve Brooks – guitar, vocals
- Kevin Schindel – guitar, vocals
- Evan Danielson- bass guitar
- Alex Vernon – guitar, vocals
- Gregory Lahm – guitar, vocals
- Derik Sommer – bass guitar
- Brian Cook - bass guitar (session musician on The Ties That Blind) (Botch, Russian Circles, These Arms Are Snakes)
- Zach Pahl - bass guitar
- Dan Wilburn - guitar
- John Lakes- guitar, vocals
- Joe Lester - bass guitar
- Bowar, Chad. "Mouth Of The Architect - The Ties That Blind". About.com. Retrieved 2008-03-20.
- "Mouth of the Architect". ProgArchives. Retrieved 2008-03-20.
- "Mouth of the Architect: Time and Withering". Scenepointblank. 2006-02-25. Retrieved 2008-03-20.
- Rivadavia, Eduardo. "Mouth of the Architect". Allmusic. Retrieved 2008-03-18.
- Rivadavia, Eduardo. "Time & Withering". Allmusic. Retrieved 2008-03-18.
- Patton, Jennifer (2006-10-06). "Mouth of the Architect Tour Dates". Delusions of Adequacy. Retrieved 2008-03-20.[dead link]
- "400 Blows: Tour". 400 Blows.net. Retrieved 2008-03-20.