Mutant Chronicles (film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Simon Hunter|
|Produced by||Edward R. Pressman
Peter La Terriere
|Written by||Philip Eisner|
|Music by||Richard Wells|
|Editing by||Sean Barton
|Studio||Isle of Man Film
|Distributed by||Magnet Releasing|
|Running time||111 minutes
Mutant Chronicles is a 2008 independent science fiction horror film, loosely based on the role-playing game of the same name. The film was directed by Simon Hunter, and stars Thomas Jane and Ron Perlman. The film was released throughout Europe in 2008. The film premiered on VOD on March 27, 2009, and had a theatrical release for selected cities on April 24, 2009. The film was released on DVD and Blu-ray Disc on August 4, 2009.
The story is set in the year 2707. The world is loosely based on that of the Mutant Chronicles role-playing game, where many technologies are steam powered and mankind has exhausted Earth’s natural resources. The protagonists must battle against mutated humans that were accidentally unleashed.
The plot revolves around a "machine" which came from space 10,000 years ago. The "machine" mutates people into nothing more than killing drones that drag new victims to the machine for conversion. Sealed away eons ago, the machine is accidentally uncovered during a large battle somewhere in Europe. Within six weeks the world is almost completely conquered by the mutant gangs. Most of the population has been evacuated to Mars. A group of soldiers are assembled to take another ancient device, presumed to be a bomb, to the heart of the machine in an attempt to destroy it. The group battles the mutants hoping to save the last of humanity.
- Thomas Jane as Sergeant John Mitchell "Mitch" Hunter
- Ron Perlman as Brother Samuel
- Devon Aoki as Corporal Valerie Chinois Duval
- Benno Fürmann as Lieutenant Maximillian Emile von Steiner
- Sean Pertwee as Nathan Rooker
- John Malkovich as Constantine
- Anna Walton as Severian
- Luis Echegaray as Corporal Jesus "El Jesus" de Barrera
- Shauna Macdonald as Adelaide
- Tom Wu as Corporal Juba Kim Wu
- Steve Toussaint as Captain John Patrick McGuire
- Roger Ashton-Griffiths as Science Monk
- Curtis Walker as Bigboy
- "The Mutant Chronicles — Screenrush.co.uk". Screenrush. Retrieved July 19, 2009.
- "THE MUTANT CHRONICLES GET MAGNETIZED". Chud. June 1, 2009. Retrieved July 19, 2009.
- "Fanboy Radio #405 - Thomas Jane Returns LIVE". Fanboyradiolibsyn. July 22, 2007. Retrieved July 19, 2009.
- "Getting Raw with Thomas Jane". Mania. August 8, 2007. Retrieved July 19, 2009.
- "Mutant Chronicles". Rotten Tomatoes.