My Way (Limp Bizkit song)
|Single by Limp Bizkit|
|from the album Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water|
|Released||January 6, 2001|
|Genre||Nu metal, rap metal, alternative metal|
|Limp Bizkit singles chronology|
"My Way" is a song by Limp Bizkit, from their album Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water. It was the fourth single released from the album. It was nominated for the Kerrang! Award for Best Single.
There were three versions of this single released, but only two were widely available. The album version of the song was used as the official theme song for the World Wrestling Federation Pay-Per-View event, WrestleMania X-Seven.
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
Musically, the song is a step away from what was the norm for Limp Bizkit during the time of the song's release. Fred Durst makes greater use of singing than rapping on the track, the rhythmic timing of the verse is somewhat more complex than what they normally play, and Wes Borland plays mainly complex melodic lines and fully voiced guitar chords instead of the root and fifth powerchords used in most metal. DJ Lethal plays and scratches a sample of the phrase "Check out my melody" from the Eric B. & Rakim song My Melody from their 1987 album Paid in Full. In 2010, Limp Bizkit started performing a new version of the song featuring a sampling of AC/DC's Back in Black during live shows.
The music video for "My Way" is a departure from the perceived serious tone of the song itself, which according to Fred Durst was done because "bands tend to take themselves way too seriously". Also, as the video does not follow any specific theme, and was basically done however the band wanted without restriction, it does follow the theme of the song in that sense.
At the beginning of the video, Durst and Wes Borland are conversing on what should be done for the video, as the two have no ideas, and Durst suggest they check 'wardrobe' for ideas. The video then follows the groups various antics as they attempt to film the video in a variety of settings, including:
- A big band where Fred Durst conducts the rest of the band to play.
- A line of motorcycles on which the band ride.
- A jungle with the band dressed up as cavemen.
The video also shows scenes of the band members trying on various costumes, notably a two-piece horse costume, among others.
At the end of the motorcycle scene, the band gets up and leaves Durst by himself, looking angry. At the end of orchestra scene, the band just walks away. The last scene in the video shows the end of the caveman scene, where Durst takes a big boulder and throws it at Borland.
In popular culture
In 2003, "Weird Al" Yankovic included the song in "Angry White Boy Polka", the polka medley from his album Poodle Hat. The song was featured in the trailer for the 2001 street-racing movie, The Fast and the Furious although it was not featured in the movie or soundtrack since Rollin (Urban Assault Vehicle), a hip-hop remix of the band's song, Rollin is already featured in the movie and the soundtrack.
- My Way (Album Version)
- My Way (William Orbit Remix)
- My Way (DJ Premier Remix)
- My Way (Enhanced Video)
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||51|
|Belgium (Ultratip Flanders)||6|
|Belgium (Ultratip Wallonia)||18|
|Finland (Suomen virallinen lista)||20|
|Germany (Media Control AG)||38|
|Netherlands (Mega Single Top 100)||56|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||41|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||99|
|UK Singles (The Official Charts Company)||6|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Modern Rock Tracks||3|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||75|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks||4|
|U.S. Billboard Top 40 Mainstream||40|
- "Australian-charts.com – Limp Bizkit – My Way". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Limp Bizkit – My Way – Austriancharts.at" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Limp Bizkit – My Way" (in Dutch). Ultratip.
- "Ultratop.be – Limp Bizkit – My Way" (in French). Ultratip.
- "Limp Bizkit: My Way" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland.
- "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, News, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche – musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- Jaclyn Ward. "Search for Irish peaks". Irishcharts.ie. Retrieved 2012-07-11.
- "Italian peaks for 'Limp Bizkit'". Hitparadeitalia.it. Retrieved 2012-07-11.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Limp Bizkit – My Way" (in Dutch). Mega Single Top 100.
- "Charts.org.nz – Limp Bizkit – My Way". Top 40 Singles.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Limp Bizkit – My Way". Singles Top 60.
- "Limp Bizkit – My Way – swisscharts.com". Swiss Singles Chart.