National Collegiate Emergency Medical Services Foundation
The National Collegiate Emergency Medical Services Foundation (NCEMSF) is a non-profit organization founded to promote and advocate for campus based emergency medical services. The organization was founded in 1993 with the goal of facilitating the exchange of information amongst collegiate EMS agencies. In 1994, NCEMSF held its first annual conference, which have since become a cornerstone of the organization.
In the early 1990s, with the widespread use of computers linked via the precursor to the Internet, e-mail communication among campus emergency responders was commonplace. For readers of the emergency services Usenet group (misc.emerg-services) and its related e-mail list (EMERG-L), there was occasionally a thread about campus-related EMS. But frequently, discussions on the topic of campus EMS were shunned as inappropriate or obscure. As a result, the campus EMS groups that existed were isolated since there was no good forum where they could openly communicate with each other.
In 1993, in response to a need for information exchange among campus EMS groups, the National Collegiate EMS Foundation (NCEMSF) was established. A loosely associated nationwide group of campus responders was formally brought together by Jon Diorio of Georgetown University (Washington, DC) and others.
Filling a niche, NCEMSF quickly grew. In April 1994 NCEMSF held its first conference at Georgetown University. Representatives from over twenty campus EMS organizations spent the weekend of April 8–10 learning about EMS, meeting each other, and having a great time.
Annual conferences every year since 1994 have been a cornerstone of NCEMSF. Providing the networking and information exchange among campus emergency responders remains one of our main goals.
Since 1994, the NCEMSF has held a yearly conference hosted by a member college or university.
|2014||February 28-March 2||Boston, MA|
|2013||February 22–24||Washington, D.C.||20th Anniversary|
|2012||February 24–26||Baltimore, MD||Johns Hopkins University|
|2011||February 25–27||Philadelphia, PA|
|2010||February 26–28||Baltimore, MD||Johns Hopkins University|
|2009||February 27 - March 1||Washington, D.C.||The George Washington University and Georgetown University|
|2008||February 29 - March 2||Philadelphia, PA||University of Pennsylvania, Rowan University,and Villanova University||15th Anniversary|
|2007||February 23–25||Baltimore, MD||UMBC & Johns Hopkins Univ.|
|2006||February 24–26||Boston, MA||Brandeis Univ., Boston Univ., Massachusetts Inst. of Tech., and Tufts Univ.|
|2005||February 25–27||Philadelphia, PA||Villanova Univ. & Ursinus College|
|2004||February 27–29||Baltimore, MD||Johns Hopkins Emergency Response Organization (HERO)|
|2003||February 21–23||Washington, DC||George Washington University|
|2002||November 8–10||Dayton, OH||University of Dayton||Regional Conference|
|2002||February 8–10||Long Island, NY||SUNY Stony Brook|
|2001||February 9–11||Rochester, NY||Rochester Institute of Technology|
|2000||February 11–13||Newark, Delaware||University of Delaware|
|1999||February 12–14||Syracuse, NY||Syracuse University|
|1998||April 17–19||Hartford, CT||Trinity College / University of Hartford|
|1997||June 10–14||Huntington, WV||Marshall University|
|1996||October 11–14||Troy, NY||Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute|
|1996||March 22–24||New York, NY||Fordham University||Regional Conference|
|1995||November 3–5||Philadelphia, PA||Villanova University|
|1994||April 8–10||Washington, DC||Georgetown University|
The following agencies are active NCEMSF members:
- Alfred University: Alfred University Rescue Squad (AURS), Alfred, NY
- American University: American University First Response Team (AUFRT), Washington, DC
- Amherst College: Amherst College Emergency Medical Services (ACEMS), Amherst, MA
- Clark University: Clark University Emergency Medical Services (CUEMS), Worcester, MA
- Georgetown University: Georgetown Emergency Response Medical Service (GERMS), Washington, DC
- Brown University: Brown University EMS (BEMS), Providence, RI
- College of Charleston: College of Charleston EMS (COFCEMS), Charleston, SC
- Fordham University: Fordham University Emergency Medical Service (FUEMS), Bronx, NY
- Rice University: Rice University EMS (REMS), Houston, TX
- SUNY Oswego: Student Association Volunteer Ambulance Corps of SUNY Oswego Inc. (SAVAC), Oswego, NY
- SUNY Oneonta: Oneonta State Emergency Squad (OSES), Oneonta, NY
- Syracuse University: Syracuse University ambulance
- University of Delaware: University of Delaware Emergency Care Unit (UDECU), Newark, DE
- Carnegie Mellon University: Carnegie Mellon University Emergency Medical Service (CMUEMS), Pittsburgh, PA
- University of Texas at Austin: Longhorn EMS (LEMS), Austin, TX
- University of Dayton: UD Rescue Squad), Dayton, OH
- The George Washington University: GW EMS / Emergency Medical Response Group (EMeRG), Washington, DC
- Rochester Institute of Technology: RIT Ambulance, Rochester, NY