||This article may be expanded with text translated from the corresponding article in the French Wikipedia. (January 2013)|
Nicolas Jaar in April 2012
|Also known as||Nico|
10 January 1990 |
New York City, New York, U.S.
|Genres||Electronic, house, deep house|
Nicolas Jaar (born 10 January 1990) is an American-Chilean musician. Jaar was the owner and founder of his own record label and art house, Clown & Sunset, as well as its successor, the subscription-based imprint Other People.
Jaar was born in New York to Alfredo Jaar and Evelyne Maynard and moved to his father’s native Chile when he was two. He and his family lived there for six years before moving back to New York, where he attended the Lycée Français de New York. He studied comparative literature at Brown University, Rhode Island. Jaar met Soul Keita and Nikita Quasim on a school trip through the Sonora desert in Mexico. The three bonded over music and began swapping beats and projects online. In 2009, Jaar started Clown & Sunset as a way to legitimize their music. In August 2013, Jaar wound up Clown & Sunset in favour of a new subscription-based imprint called Other People.
Jaar's music is ruminative and emotional (he calls it "blue-wave"), drawing inspiration from fellow Chilean Ricardo Villalobos and minimal techno. Most of Jaar's compositions reside at 100 BPM or lower, far lower than the techno/house standards of 120–130 BPM. "I'm going to keep taking the beats even slower," he said in an interview with Resident Advisor. "More unintentional things happen between the beats." He released his debut album, Space Is Only Noise, in January 2011 to critical acclaim, receiving a score of 8.4 and the title of Best New Music from Pitchfork and four stars from the Guardian. It was ranked the number 1 album of the year by Resident Advisor, Mixmag, and Crack Mag, number 2 by DJ Mag, and number 20 by Pitchfork. His track "Don't Break My Love" also received the Best New Track award from Pitchfork in late 2011. Jaar toured the album with a full band, combining sounds from his laptop with a guitarist, drummer, and saxophonist. Resident Advisor gave them the number 1 spot in their Top Live Act 2012 list.
In March 2014, Jaar collaborated with Sasha Spielberg under the Just Friends moniker and released the single entitled "Don't Tell Me."
|Year||Album details||Peak chart positions|
|2011||Space Is Only Noise||–||–||–||–|
|2011||Don't Break my Love
|2011||Nico's Bluewave Edits
|2010||Love You Gotta Lose Again
|2010||Time For Us / Mi Mujer
|2010||Marks & Angles
|2009||No Regular Play||"Owe Me"|
|2010||Azari & III||"Into the Night"|
|DJ T.||"Gorilla Hug"|
|Ellen Allien||"Flashy Flashy"|
|Maceo Plex||"Gravy Train"|
|Matthew Dear||"You Put a Smell On Me"|
|Michael Jackson||"Billie Jean"||Nico's Rework|
|The Bees||"Winter Rose"|
|2011||Architecture in Helsinki||"W.O.W"|
|Mike & The Censations||"Theres Nothing I Can Do About It"||Nico's Bluewave Edit|
|Missy Elliott||"Work It"||Nico's Bluewave Edit|
|Sneaky Sound System||"Big"||Always By Your Side (Nicolas Jaar Remix)|
|The Blow||"Hey Boy"||Nico's Bluewave Edit|
|When Saints Go Machine||"Fail Forever"|
|Chet Faker||"Terms and Conditions"|
|Mike James Kirkland||"What My Last Girl Put Me Through
(There's Nothing I Can Do About It)"
|Shlohmo||"Rained the Whole Time"|
|Grizzly Bear||"Sleeping Ute"|
|2014||The Hellen Hollins Singers||"Consolation"||Nicolas Jaar Edit|
|2015||Florence and the Machine||"What Kind of Man"|
This edits are performed live or played in mixes and never have been released.
|2009||Stretch||"Why Did Ya Do It"||Nico's Edit|
|Mulatu Astatke||"Yegelle Tezeta"||Nico's Edit|
|2010||Luca C & Brigante||"Lucio"||Nicolas Jaar & Dave Harrington Edit|
|2011||The Enticers||"Thief"||Nicolas Jaar Live Set Edit|
|Wendy Rene||"After Laughter Comes Tears"||Nicolas Jaar Edit|
|2012||LaShun Pace||"It’s Me Oh Lord (Acapella Praise) "||Nicolas Jaar Edit|
- "RA: Breaking through: Nicolas Jaar - Interview". Residentadvisor.net. Retrieved 2011-12-26.
- "Lycée Francais de New York Class of 2008 Directory". Alumni Association of the Lycée Français de New York, inc. Retrieved 2014-03-23.
- "Nicolas Jaar explores his darkside". The Skinny. 2013-10-02. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- "Album Reviews: Nicolas Jaar: Space Is Only Noise". Pitchfork. 2011-02-17. Retrieved 2011-05-09.
- Tony Naylor (12 March 2011). "Nicolas Jaar is the renaissance man of electronic music | Music". London: The Guardian. Retrieved 2011-05-09.
- "Track Reviews: Nicolas Jaar: "Don't Break My Love"". Pitchfork. 2011-02-22. Retrieved 2013-04-21.
- "RA Poll: Top 20 live acts of 2012". Resident Advisor. Retrieved 3 July 2013.
- Ravens, Chal; Gregorsky, Mikael (photographer) (May 21, 2012). "Nicolas Jaar's BBC Essential Mix". Dummy Mag. Retrieved May 23, 2012.
- "BBC iPlayer - BBC Radio 1's Essential Mix: Radio 1's Essential Mix Of The Year 2012. Nicolas Jaar". Retrieved 2012-12-22.
- "Darkside Announce Debut LP 'Psychic'". Modular Recordings. September 4, 2013. Retrieved November 14, 2013.
- "Jaar & Spielberg as: Just Friends". Indie Shuffle. March 25, 2014. Retrieved March 26, 2014.
- "The Color of Pomegranates".