||This article may be expanded with text translated from the corresponding article in the French Wikipedia. (January 2013)|
Nicolas Jaar in April 2012
|Also known as||Nico|
January 10, 1990 |
New York City, New York, U.S.
|Genres||Electronic, house, deep house|
Nicolas Jaar (born 1990) is an American-Chilean musician. Jaar was the owner and founder of his own record label and art house, Clown & Sunset, as well as its successor, the subscription-based imprint Other People.
Jaar was born in New York on January 10, 1990, to Alfredo Jaar and Evelyne Maynard and moved to his father’s native Chile when he was two. He and his family lived there for six years before moving back to New York, where he attended the Lycée Français de New York. He studied comparative literature at Brown University, Rhode Island. Jaar met Soul Keita and Nikita Quasim on a school trip through the Sonora desert in Mexico. The three bonded over music and began swapping beats and projects online. In 2009, Jaar started Clown & Sunset as a way to legitimize their music. In August 2013, Jaar wound up Clown & Sunset in favour of a new subscription-based imprint called Other People.
Jaar's music is ruminative and emotional (he calls it "blue-wave"), drawing inspiration from fellow Chilean Ricardo Villalobos and minimal techno. Most of Jaar's compositions reside at 100 BPM or lower, far lower than the techno/house standards of 120–130 BPM. "I'm going to keep taking the beats even slower," he said in an interview with Resident Advisor. "More unintentional things happen between the beats." He released his debut album, Space Is Only Noise, in January 2011 to critical acclaim, receiving a score of 8.4 and the title of Best New Music from Pitchfork and four stars from the Guardian. It was ranked the number 1 album of the year by Resident Advisor, Mixmag, and Crack Mag, number 2 by DJ Mag, and number 20 by Pitchfork. His track "Don't Break My Love" also received the Best New Track award from Pitchfork in late 2011. Jaar toured the album with a full band, combining sounds from his laptop with a guitarist, drummer, and saxophonist. Resident Advisor gave them the number 1 spot in their Top Live Act 2012 list.
In March 2014, Jaar collaborated with Sasha Spielberg under the Just Friends moniker and released the single entitled "Don't Tell Me."
|Year||Album details||Peak chart positions|
|2013||Psychic (as Darkside)||163||6||5||21|
|2011||Space Is Only Noise||–||–||–||–|
|2011||DARKSIDE EP (w/ Dave Harrington)
|2011||Don't Break my Love
|2011||Nico's Bluewave Edits
|2010||Love You Gotta Lose Again
|2010||Time For Us / Mi Mujer
|2010||Marks & Angles
- Daft Punk - Random Access Memories (as DAFTSIDE) (2013)
- Brian Eno - Lux (2013)
- Grizzly Bear - Sleeping Ute (2013)
- Architecture in Helsinki - W.O.W. (2012)
- Cat Power - Cherokee (2012)
- Shlohmo - Rained the Whole Time (2012)
- Maceo Plex - Gravy Train (2011)
- When Saints Go Machine - Fail Forever (2011)
- Sneaky Sound System – Big (2011)
- Stretch - Why Did Ya Do It (2010)
- Nina Simone - Feeling Good (2010)
- The Bees - Winter Rose (2010)
- Azari & III – Into The Night (2010)
- Ellen Allien – Flashy Flashy (2010)
- Kasper Bjørke - Heaven (2010)
- Wendy Rene - After Laughter Comes Tears (2010)
- Matthew Dear – You Put a Smell On Me (2010)
- No Regular Play - Owe Me (2009)
- Luca C & Brigante - Lucio (2012)
- "RA: Breaking through: Nicolas Jaar - Interview". Residentadvisor.net. Retrieved 2011-12-26.
- "Lycée Francais de New York Class of 2008 Directory". Alumni Association of the Lycée Français de New York, inc. Retrieved 2014-03-23.
- "Nicolas Jaar explores his darkside". The Skinny. 2013-10-02. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- "Hipsters Music: Nicolas Jaar: Space Is Only Noise". HipstersMusic. 2011-02-17. Retrieved 2011-05-09.
- "Album Reviews: Nicolas Jaar: Space Is Only Noise". Pitchfork. 2011-02-17. Retrieved 2011-05-09.
- Tony Naylor (12 March 2011). "Nicolas Jaar is the renaissance man of electronic music | Music". London: The Guardian. Retrieved 2011-05-09.
- "Track Reviews: Nicolas Jaar: "Don't Break My Love"". Pitchfork. 2011-02-22. Retrieved 2013-04-21.
- "RA Poll: Top 20 live acts of 2012". Resident Advisor. Retrieved 3 July 2013.
- Ravens, Chal; Gregorsky, Mikael (photographer) (May 21, 2012). "Nicolas Jaar's BBC Essential Mix". Dummy Mag. Retrieved May 23, 2012.
- "BBC iPlayer - BBC Radio 1's Essential Mix: Radio 1's Essential Mix Of The Year 2012. Nicolas Jaar". Retrieved 2012-12-22.
- "Darkside Announce Debut LP 'Psychic'". Modular Recordings. September 4, 2013. Retrieved November 14, 2013.
- "Jaar & Spielberg as: Just Friends". Indie Shuffle. March 25, 2014. Retrieved March 26, 2014.
- "Darkside – Chart history: Billboard 200". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved October 19, 2013.
- "Darkside – Chart history: Dance/Electronic Albums". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved October 19, 2013.
- "Darkside – Chart history: Heatseekers Albums". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved October 19, 2013.
- "2013 Top 40 Independent Albums Archive". Official Charts Company. October 19, 2013. Retrieved October 19, 2013.
- "Space is Only Noise by Nicolas Jaar - Download Space is Only Noise by Nicolas Jaar". Itunes.apple.com. 2011-01-31. Retrieved 2011-10-27.