Nihon Keizai Shimbun
|Format||Blanket (54.6 cm x 40.65 cm)|
|Founded||2 December 1876|
|Circulation||Morning edition: 3,034,481
Afternoon edition: 1,618,603 (ABC Japan, average for July–December 2005)
Nikkei Inc. (株式会社日本経済新聞社 Kabushiki-Gaisha Nihon Keizai Shimbun Sha?, literally Japan Economic Times Company) is one of the largest media corporations in Japan. Nikkei specializes in publishing financial, business and industry news. Its main news publications include:
- Nikkei Asian Review, English language business journal, launched in November 2013
- Nihon Keizai Shimbun (日本経済新聞), a leading economic newspaper.
- Nikkei Veritas (日経ヴェリタス), a weekly financial newspaper that replaced Nikkei Kinyu Shimbun (Nikkei Financial Daily) in March 2008.
- Nikkei Sangyo Shimbun (日経産業新聞, Nikkei Business Daily), an industry newspaper
- Nikkei MJ (日経MJ, Nikkei Marketing Journal), a commerce newspaper
- Nikkei Weekly (日経ウィークリー), an English-language business newspaper
Nikkei sells these newspapers around the world, in their original languages and in translation. It also makes many of its Japanese articles available in English through wire services, an English language website, and a licensing agreement with LexisNexis.
The roots of the Nikkei started with an in-house newspaper department of Mitsui & Company in 1876 when it started publication of Chugai Bukka Shimpo (literally Domestic and Foreign Commodity Price Newspaper), a weekly market-quotation bulletin. The department was spun out as the Shokyosha in 1882. The paper became daily (except Sunday) in 1885 and was renamed Chugai Shogyo Simpo in 1889. It was merged with Nikkan Kogyo and Keizai Jiji and renamed Nihon Sangyo Keizai Shimbun in 1942. The paper changed its name to the Nihon Keizai Shimbun in 1946.
The Nihon Keizai Shimbun is Nikkei's flagship publication and the world's largest financial newspaper, with a daily circulation exceeding 3 million. Nikkei 225, a stock market index for the Tokyo Stock Exchange, has been calculated by the newspaper since 1950.
Nikkei Group affiliate companies
- Nikkei Business Publications, Inc.
- Nikkei CNBC Japan
- Nikkei Radio Broadcasting Corporation (Radio Nikkei)
- Quick Corporation
- Nikkei Science (50%)
- Nikkei National Geographic (50%)
- TV Tokyo (33.3%)
- TV Osaka (19.9%)
- TV Aichi (19.9%)
- TV Hokkaido (19.9%)
- TVQ Kyushu (19.9%)
- Rating & Investment Information, Inc. (58.6%)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nihon Keizai Shimbun.|
- Nikkei Asian Review in English
- Nikkei Net Interactive - Japan Business News Online
- Nikkei Business Publications, Inc. (Japanese)
|This article related to newspapers in Japan is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|