Anozie at the production of The Children's Monologues
28 May 1979 |
Nonso Anozie (born 28 May 1979) is an English actor who has worked on stage, film, and television.
Life and career
Anozie was born in Lincoln, England, of Nigerian descent. In the summer of 2002 he played the title role in William Shakespeare's King Lear, and won the Ian Charleson Award in 2004 for his performance in Othello.
Anozie was hired in 2006 to provide the voice for the armoured bear Iorek Byrnison in the film adaptation of Philip Pullman's Northern Lights. Anozie was replaced by Ian McKellen two months before the film was set to be released. The film's director, Chris Weitz, told Empire:
"It was a studio decision ... You can understand why you would cast Ian McKellen for anything. But letting go of Nonso was one of the most painful experiences on this movie for me. I need to say about Nonso that he is one of the most promising and soulful young actors I have encountered in England and I’ve worked here for quite a bit now and he’s actually in the next Mike Leigh [film] ... But it was, uh, that was kind of a dark day for me. I kinda wanna go out of my way to point out how much I love Nonso’s work. And that’s that."
Anozie played small roles as Think Tank in Guy Ritchie's film RocknRolla and Frank Mace in Joe Wright's Atonement. He played the lead in Cass a 2008 British crime drama film recreating the life of Cass Pennant. In 2009, he appeared in the supporting cast of the BBC TV three-part 2003 Iraq War drama, Occupation, where he played a US Marine turned private military contractor. In 2011, he played Artus, a Zamoran pirate and close friend of Conan, in Conan the Barbarian. That year, he was also cast to play the role of Xaro Xhoan Daxos in the HBO series Game of Thrones and was cast as Jackson Burke in The Grey. He also plays the role of Samson in the History Channel's television miniseries The Bible. In 2013, Anozie appeared in the film Ender's Game as Sergeant Dap, and he currently plays Renfield on the NBC series Dracula.
- Atonement (2007) - Frank Mace
- RocknRolla (2008) - Tank
- Cass (2009) - Cass Pennant
- Occupation (2009) - Erik Lester (3 episodes)
- The Grey (2011) - Jackson Burke
- Conan the Barbarian (2011) - Artus
- Game of Thrones (2012) - Xaro Xhoan Daxos (5 episodes)
- Ender's Game (2013) - Sergeant Dap
- The Bible (2013) - Samson (1 episode)
- Dracula (2013-) - R.M. Renfield
- Get Santa (2014)
- Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit (2014) - Embee
- Obenson, Tambay A. (May 10, 2012). "British-Nigerian Actor Nonso Anozie ("Game Of Thrones") Talks To S&A About Stage, TV & Film Career + More...". Shadow and Act. Indiewire.
- "The Real Iorek". BridgeToTheStars.net. Retrieved 2007-11-10.
- "Ian McKellen Voicing Iorek". BridgeToTheStars.net. Retrieved 2007-11-10.
- "Kristin Scott Thomas In Golden Compass". Empire. Retrieved 2007-11-10.
- "Nonso Anozie cast as Xaro Xhoan Daxos". WinterIsComing.net. Retrieved 2011-08-02.
- Schaefer, Sandy (February 21, 2012). "'Ender's Game' gains three new cast members". The Christian Science Monitor.
- Goldberg, Lesley (January 30, 2013). "NBC's 'Dracula' Series Casts 'Game of Thrones,' 'Merlin' Actors". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved November 9, 2013.