Dr. Noureddin Kianouri (1915 Nour, Teheran – November 1999) was an Iranian architect and political leader. He was an influential member of the Central Committee for the communist Tudeh Party. He acted as the party's General Secretary from 1979 to 1984.
Kianouri was son of Agha Mirza Mehdi Nouri (Persian: شیخ مهدی نوری) & Zahra Khanoum Soltani Nouri, and grandson of Sheikh Fazlollah Noori (Persian: شیخ فضلالله نوری) & Sakineh Nouri Tabrasi (Daughter of Mirza Husain Noori Tabarsi). Kianouri was educated in Germany, receiving a Phd in Construction Engineering from Aachen University. He taught at Tehran University. In the early 1940s, he married feminist and communist activist Maryam Firouz. Following the 1953 Iranian coup d'état and the subsequent banning of the Tudeh Party, Kianuori and Firouz lived in exile in East Germany. In GDR exile between end of 50's to 70's he lives, researched and taught under the name of Italian Communist " Dr. Architect Prof. Silvio Macetti (N.K.)". He was working as one of the research directors of "Deutsche Bauakademie zu Berlin (DBA)". In their absence, they were tried by the regime of Mohammad-Rezā Shāh Pahlavi and sentenced to life at hard labor.
The couple returned to Iran following the 1979 Islamic Revolution and the deposition of the Shah. The Tudeh party was reinstituted with Kianouri as General Secretary. In 1983, the Tudeh Party was again banned following accusations of espionage for the Soviet Union. Kianouri was imprisoned and later forced to publicly confess on a televised broadcast. After his release to house arrest in the mid 90's, Kianouri wrote an open letter detailing the torture of himself and his wife while in prison.
He died on 5 November 1999, in his home confinement.
Architecture books and articles
- 1950, " Buildings of "Health and Care" Noureddin Kianouri Tehran
- 1968, "Großwohneinheiten" Noureddin Kianouri under codname "Macetti,Silvio. N.K." VEB für Bauwesen
- 1968, "Wohnhochhäuser" Noureddin Kianouri under codname "Macetti, Silvio" Zeitschrift Deutsche Architektur 8/1968
- 1968, "Probleme des Wohnungsbaus" Noureddin Kianouri under codname "Macetti, Silvio" Zeitschrift Deutsche Architektur 10/1968
- 1970, "Die weitere Entwicklung der sozialistischen Lebensweise und das Problem des städtischen Personenverkehrs" Noureddin Kianouri under codname "Silvio Macetti"
- 1970, Sozialistische Architektur kontra Konvergenztheorie, Heinz Heuer. Umfrage: Perspektiven der sozialistischen Architektur, Edmund Collein u. a. Bernhard Geyer, Noureddin Kianouri under codname Dr. Silvio Macetti, Otto Patze Helmut Trauzettel. Zeitschrift Deutsche Architektur 8/1970
- 1971, Ökonomie der Stadt und komplexe Ökonomie des Städtebaus, "Noureddin Kianouri" under codname Dr. "Silvio Macetti" Zeitschrift Deutsche Architektur 10/1971
- Das Städtebaus und der Architektur bis zum Jahre 2000 und darüber hinaus (Entwurf), Deutsche Bauakademie zu Berlin "Noureddin Kianouri" under codname Dr. "Silvio Macetti"
- 1979, "Die komplexe Ökonomie der baulich-räumlichen Umwelt" Noureddin Kianouri under codname Dr. "Silvio Macetti", DH2/21675 Bundes Archive
- Maziar Behrooz, "Tudeh Factionalism and the 1953 Coup in Iran", International Journal of Middle East Studies (2001), 33:3:363–382 Cambridge University Press
- Haleh Afshar, "Maryam Firouz", Obituary, The Guardian, 31 March 2008
- Cameron Hume, The United Nations, Iran, and Iraq: How Peacemaking Changed, Indiana University Press (May 1, 1994), pg. 62
- Ali Gheissari, Seyyed Vali Reza Nasr, Democracy in Iran: History and the Quest for Liberty, Oxford University Press, (2006), pg. 96
- Maziar Behrooz, Rebels with a Cause, (2000), p.129
- "Death of Noureddin Kianouri", The Guardian (Communist Party of Australia), Issue No: 980, November 17, 1999
- Grosswoheinheiten (VEB Verlag), Silvio Macetti N.K.