|Elevation||4,600 ft (1,400 m)|
|Population (2011 Estimate)|
Ntungamo is located about 66 kilometres (41 mi), by road, southwest of the town of Mbarara, the largest metropolitan area in the sub-region, on the highway between Mbarara and Kabale. This location lies approximately 360 kilometres (220 mi), by road, southwest of Kampala, the capital of Uganda and the largest city in that country. The coordinates of the town are: 00 52 55S, 30 15 55E.
In 1982 Muntuyera and G. Rutawheire changed Ntungamo by developing the district and their own personal area Rwashamire.
The 2002 national census put the population of the town at 13,300 and in 2008, the Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS), estimated the population of the town at 15,300. In 2011, UBOS estimated the mid-year population of Ntungamo at 24,750.
Points of interest
The landmarks within the town limits or near the town borders include:
- The headquarters of Ntungamo District Administration
- The offices of Ntungamo Town Council
- A branch of Centenary Bank
- A branch of Stanbic Bank
- A branch of PostBank Uganda
- A branch of Uganda Finance Trust Limited - A Tier III Financial Institution
- Ntungamo Central Market
- Karegyeya Rock Shelter
- The Mbarara-Kabale Highway - The highway continues to Gatuna and Kigali in the Republic of Rwanda
- Itojo Hospital - A public 120-bed hospital administered by the Uganda Ministry of Health, located 22 kilometres (14 mi), northeast of Ntungamo, on the Kabale-Mbarara Road.
Tourism in Ntungamo
Tourism in Ntungamo is not much developed but there are notable tourism potential sites like;
- Karegyeya Rock
- Lake Nyabihoko
- Uganda-Rwanda Border
- Bird life in the wetlands
- Agricultural activities
There are also plans to build a University in Ntungamo which will have more than 1000 Students and will also attract more Education in Western Uganda.Another plan about Education will be the Prestigious plan to build a girls secondary school which will have over 750 students,Both these projects are expected to start by January 2012.