On the Riviera
|On the Riviera|
1951 movie poster
|Directed by||Walter Lang|
|Produced by||Sol C. Siegel|
|Written by||screenplay by
based on a play by
|Music by||Alfred Newman
|Editing by||J. Watson Webb, Jr.|
|Distributed by||20th Century Fox|
|Release dates||April 20, 1951|
|Running time||90 minutes|
|Box office||$2.5 million (US rentals)|
On the Riviera is a 1951 musical comedy film made by 20th Century Fox. It was directed by Walter Lang, produced by Sol C. Siegel from a screenplay by Valentine Davies and Phoebe and Henry Ephron, based on the play The Red Cat by Rudolph Lothar and Hans Adler,This version stars Danny Kaye, Gene Tierney and Corinne Calvet with Marcel Dalio, Henri Letondal, Sig Ruman with uncredited featured dancer Gwen Verdon in dance sequences choreographed and staged by Jack Cole.
Having extensive production value this is a "backstage" musical, all songs occurring as stage performances and many of the characters are stage performers. The film served as a vehicle for multi-talented Broadway veteran Danny Kaye.
This was the third film version of the same story. The original was entitled Folies Bergère (1935) and starred Maurice Chevalier, Merle Oberon and Ann Sothern. The remake in 1941 was That Night in Rio and starred Don Ameche, Alice Faye and Carmen Miranda.
The film follows Jack Martin as he is offered a large amount of money to impersonate his look alike, Henri Duran.
- Danny Kaye - Jack Martin / Henri Duran
- Gene Tierney - Lili Duran
- Corinne Calvet - Colette
- Marcel Dalio - Philippe Lebrix
- Jean Murat - Felix Periton
- Henri Letondal - Louis Foral
- Clinton Sundberg - Antoine
- Sig Ruman - Gapeaux
- Joyce Mackenzie - Mimi (as Joyce MacKenzie)
- Monique Chantal - Minette
- Marina Koshetz - Mme. Louise Cornet
- Ann Codee - Mme. Periton
- Mari Blanchard - Eugenie
- 'The Top Box Office Hits of 1951', Variety, January 2, 1952
- "NY Times: On the Riviera". NY Times. Retrieved 2008-12-21.