|Born||December 7, 1903
Appleton, Minnesota, U.S.
|Died||December 14, 1987 (aged 84)
Santa Monica, California, U.S.
Clinton Sundberg (December 7, 1903 - December 14, 1987) was a stage and film character actor.
Clinton Charles Sundberg was born in South Dakota on December 7 1903, the son of Grace A. Coffey Sundberg. His birth year has been disputed with sources differing between 1903 and 1906. The Internet Movie Database and Internet Broadway Database claim 1903, while Allmovie states 1906, which is supported by The New York Times and The Los Angeles Times obituaries, which reported his age as 81. However the Social Security Death Index and the 1910 United States Census both confirm 1903.
Sundberg left teaching for acting and appeared in a number of Broadway plays. His most notable roles were Mr. Kraler in the original 1957 production of The Diary of Anne Frank and Mortimer Brewster (as a replacement) in the 1944 Arsenic and Old Lace. He had numerous supporting roles in films of the 1940s and 1950s. He played Mike, the bartender who listens to Judy Garland's character's troubles in Easter Parade. One of Sundberg's most memorable roles was in the 1949 Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer film In the Good Old Summertime (which also starred Judy Garland and Van Johnson), in which he played the part of Rudy Hansen, a friendly co-worker and confidante of Johnson's character. He also played the hotel owner who hired Annie Oakley to enter the shooting contest against Frank Butler in Annie Get Your Gun.
Sundberg also made several television appearances, including two episodes of Perry Mason: "The Case of the Drowsy Mosquito" in 1963 and "The Case of the Scarlet Scandal" in 1966.
He died of heart failure in Santa Monica, California.
Partial filmography 
- Undercurrent (1946)
- Love Laughs at Andy Hardy (1946)
- The Mighty McGurk (1947)
- Living in a Big Way (1947)
- The Hucksters (1947)
- Easter Parade (1948)
- A Date with Judy (1948)
- Mr. Peabody and the Mermaid (1948)
- Good Sam (1948)
- Words and Music (1948)
- Command Decision (1948)
- Big Jack (1949)
- The Barkleys of Broadway (1949)
- In the Good Old Summertime (1949)
- Key to the City (1950)
- Father Is a Bachelor (1950)
- Annie Get Your Gun (1950)
- Duchess of Idaho (1950)
- The Toast of New Orleans (1950)
- Two Weeks with Love (1950)
- Mrs. O'Malley and Mr. Malone (1950)
- On the Riviera (1951)
- The Fat Man (1951)
- As Young as You Feel (1951)
- The Belle of New York (1952)
- The Caddy (1953)
- The Birds and the Bees (1956)
- Bachelor in Paradise (1961)
- The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm (1962)
- Hotel (1967)
- A Snow White Christmas (1980) (voice)
- The Princess and the Cobbler (1993) (voice)
- Clinton Sundberg at the Internet Movie Database
- Clinton Sundberg at AllRovi
- Clinton Sundberg at the Internet Broadway Database
- Clinton Sundberg at Find a Grave
|This article about an American film actor is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an American theatre actor is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|