One (Harry Nilsson song)
- One Is the Loneliest Number redirects here. The phrase is also the title of a novel from the Tom Clancy's Net Force Explorers series.
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2009)|
|Single by Harry Nilsson|
|from the album Aerial Ballet|
|Harry Nilsson singles chronology|
"One" is a song written by Harry Nilsson and made famous by Three Dog Night whose cover in 1969 reached #5 on the Billboard Hot 100. The song is known for its opening line "One is the loneliest number that you'll ever do". Nilsson wrote the song after calling someone and getting a busy signal. He stayed on the line listening to the "beep, beep, beep, beep..." tone, writing the song. The busy signal became the opening notes of the song.
|Single by Three Dog Night|
|from the album Three Dog Night|
|Three Dog Night singles chronology|
- The New Seekers released a version on the 1971 album Beautiful People.
- In 1992, it was covered by the band Chainsaw Kittens on the single for the song "High in High School".
- The song was covered by Aimee Mann for the 1995 Nilsson tribute album For the Love of Harry: Everybody Sings Nilsson. Mann's version also appears in the 1999 film Magnolia and on the film's soundtrack.
- In 1995, the song was sung briefly on The Drew Carey Show at the Warsaw Pub between both Carey and his boss, Mr. Bell, in the first season episode "Nature Abhors a Vacuum".
- The song was also covered by the rock band Filter for the soundtrack to the 1998 film The X-Files: Fight the Future.
- Dokken covered the song in their 1999 album Erase the Slate.
- The Beta Band closed their 2001 album Hot Shots II with "Won", a hip-hop track built around extensive samples of Nilsson's song.
- In 2013, Tracii Guns' League of Gentlemen covered "One" on the album First Record.
- Mastodon recorded a cover of the song for the Army of Two trailer.
- This song was also in 17th episode of the third season of the animated comedy series Family Guy called "Brian Wallows and Peter's Swallows".
- The Muppets and Jimmy Fallon performed an impromptu rendition of the song on the set of Late Night with Jimmy Fallon while rehearsing for the 2009 Christmas performance.
- In 2013, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic created a video using "One" to promote their US Open final match.
- In 2013, Lisa Simpson sang the song at the beginning of the Episode 536 of The Simpsons, dated November 24, 2013.
- The Three Dog Night version of "One" was used in a winter of 2012-13 ad campaign for Ahold's Stop & Shop, Giant of Landover, Giant of Carlisle and Martin's Supermarket chains.
- In July 2014, a version recorded by Order of Era (a collaboration between bands, Civil Civic and Hunting) was used in a LYNX-AXE deodorant television advertisement.
- Review of "One" on allmusic.com
- Three Dog Night, "One" Chart Position Retrieved February 18, 2015
- Nimmervoll, Ed (13 September 1969). "National Top 40". Go-Set. Waverley Press. Retrieved 16 May 2014.