Orange Public Library
Orange Free Public Library
|Location||348 Main Street
Orange, New Jersey
|Area||less than one acre|
|Architect||McKim, Mead, and White; Albro & Brower|
|Architectural style||Classical Revival|
|NRHP Reference #||81000393|
|Added to NRHP||September 28, 1981|
|Designated NJRHP||August 7, 1981|
The Orange Public Library is the free public library in Orange, in Essex County, New Jersey, United States. Serving a population of about 33,000, the library collection contains 150,000 volumes and circulates 56,000 annually.
The library began in 1883 as association library, supported by dues, endowments and donations and opened its current main building, designed by McKim, Mead, and White, in 1901. Across its facade is engraved Stickler Memorial in honor of the son, who had died suddenly a year earlier, of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Stickler, who donated the $100,000 cost of its construction. It was built during the "free library movement" at the turn of the 20th century. In a 1945 referendum the citizens approved support for a free public library, and took over the operations of the building as municipally operated facility. It was added to the state and federal registers of historic places in 1981. In 2010 it was estimated that refurbishing the building, in need of repairs, would cost $1.5 million.
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Essex County, New Jersey
- List of Carnegie libraries in New Jersey
- East Orange Public Library
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2009-03-13.
- "New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places - Essex County". NJ DEP - Historic Preservation Office. January 10, 2010. p. 3. Retrieved July 26, 2010.
- "Orange Public Library". librarytechnology.org. September 2011. Retrieved 2011-10-06.
- "STICKLER MEMORIAL LIBRARY.; Ground Broken for Structure to Cost $100,000 at Orange,", The New York Times, May 14, 1900, retrieved 2011-10-06
- "Libraries in New Jersey Growth of the Movement for the Free Circulation of Books", The New York Times, December 16, 1900
- "History of the Orange Public Library". Orange Public Library. Retrieved 2011-10-06.
- Bondy, Halley (March 11, 2010), "Lead paint leads to complaint against Orange library", The Star-Ledger, retrieved 2011-10-16