Oslo National Academy of the Arts
|Oslo National Academy of the Arts|
|Kunsthøgskolen i Oslo|
|Established||1 August 1996|
|Rector||Cecilie Broch Knudsen|
The Oslo National Academy of the Arts (Norwegian: Kunsthøgskolen i Oslo, KHiO) is a university college in Oslo, Norway, that provides education in visual arts, design and performing arts. It is one of two public institutes of higher learning in Norway that teaches in visual arts and design, the other is the Bergen National Academy of the Arts in Bergen.
Oslo National Academy of the Arts was ranked among the worlds 60 best design programs by bloomberg Businessweek.
The Academy was established in 1996 through the amalgamation of five independent colleges:
- The National Academy of Craft and Art Industry (Statens håndverks- og kunstindustriskole), founded in 1818
- The National Academy of Fine Arts (Statens kunstakademi), founded in 1909
- The National Academy of Theatre (Statens teaterhøgskole), founded in 1952
- The National Academy of Opera (Statens operahøgskole), founded in 1964
- The National Academy of Ballet (Statens balletthøgskole), founded in 1979
These former colleges are now organised in three faculties: the Faculty of Design, the Faculty of Performing Arts and the Faculty of Visual Arts.
The Oslo National Academy of the Arts has so far been housed in several buildings in Oslo. In the summer of 2003, the Faculty of Performing Arts was moved to the new campus at the old textile plant Seilduken at Grünerløkka in central Oslo. In the summer of 2010, the remaining faculties joined.
The Academies current location at the former Seilduken plant is marked by a blue ceramic Oslo Byes Well plaque, located at the entrance to the buildings car park. The plaque reads 'Society for Oslo Byes Well. Christiania Seildugsfabrik. Founded in 1856, Discounted from 1960. Architect P.H Holtermann'.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (November 2013)|
The Faculty of Visual Arts included two professorships from the start. Jan Valentin Sæther occupied the professorship for painting from 1996 until 2002, whereas Istvan Lisztes was the first professor of sculpture.
Current professors include Michael O'Donnell, A.K. Dolven, Dag Erik Elgin, Henrik Plenge Jakobsen, Aeron Bergman, Susanne Winterling, Jeannette Christensen and Stian Grøgaard.
- Kunsthøgskolen i Oslo, official website
- Kunstakademiet i Oslo, official website for Faculty of Visual Arts
- Inspisientene på KHIO, Inspisientene/Stage Managers på KHiO
- "BusinessWeek: Best Design Schools in the World". Retrieved 2008-07-30.