Out of the Blue (1980 film)
|Out of the Blue|
|Directed by||Dennis Hopper|
|Produced by||Jean Gontier Paul Lewis
Gary Jules Jouvenat
|Written by||Leonard Yakir
Gary Jules Jouvenat
|Music by||Tom Lavin|
|Edited by||Doris Dyck|
|Distributed by||Discovery Films|
|Running time||93 minutes|
Out of the Blue (released in Canada as No Looking Back) is a 1980 Canadian drama film directed by and starring Dennis Hopper. The film was written and produced by Gary Jules Jouvenat. It competed for the Palme d'Or at the 1980 Cannes Film Festival. This was the first film Hopper directed since 1971's The Last Movie, stepping in at the last minute to replace the original director (screenwriter Leonard Yakir).
It centers on Cebe, a rebellious and troubled young girl, played by Linda Manz — interested only in Elvis Presley and punk rock music — as well as her ex-convict father Don Barnes (Dennis Hopper), and her high-strung mother Kathy (Sharon Farrell). The title is taken from the Neil Young song "My My, Hey Hey (Out of the Blue)".
The film was made in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada and various icons of Vancouver in that era are featured in the film, including the Pointed Sticks, one of the leading bands of Vancouver's punk era.
- Linda Manz - Cebe aka Cindy Barnes
- Dennis Hopper - Don Barnes
- Sharon Farrell - Kathy Barnes
- Don Gordon - Charlie
- Raymond Burr - Dr. Brean
- Eric Allen - Paul
- Fiona Brody - Carol
- David L. Crowley - Anderson (as David Crowley)
- Joan Hoffman - Jean
- Carl Nelson - Cabby
- Francis Ann Pettit - Nancy
- Glen Pfeifer - Glenn
- David Ackridge - Teacher
- Jim Byrnes - Party Singer (as Jim Byrne)
- Glen Fyfe - Bouncer
- Pointed Sticks - Band in the Nightclub
- IMDB: Out of the Blue: Release Info
- "Festival de Cannes: Out of the Blue". festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 2009-05-28.
- "Films You May Have Missed: Out of the Blue". Retrieved 2010-03-13.
- "Jonathan Rosenbaum's Top Ten Lists 1974-2006". Alumnus.caltech.edu. Retrieved 2010-07-29.
- "Out of the Blue", Dorothy Woodend, TheTyee.ca, Nov. 11, 2010
- British Universities Film & Video Council: The Red Triangle
|This article related to a Canadian film of the 1980s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This 1980s drama film-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|