Parkland High School (Allentown, Pennsylvania)
|Parkland High School|
|2700 North Cedar Crest Boulevard
Allentown, Pennsylvania, 18104
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Parkland School District|
|Principal||James Moniz II|
|Grades||9 - 12|
|Enrollment||3147  (September 2013)|
|Website||Parkland High School|
Parkland High School, located near Allentown, in the U.S. state of Pennsylvania, is a public high school serving students in grades 9 to 12. It is the only high school for the Parkland School District.
With 3,147 students in the 2013-2014  academic year, Parkland is the second largest high school in Pennsylvania's Lehigh Valley, behind Bethlehem's Liberty High School. The school is located at 2700 North Cedar Crest Boulevard in South Whitehall Township.
Prior to 1949, Parkland High School was known as South Whitehall High School. On July 1, 1949, North Whitehall and South Whitehall merged to create Parkland Union School District with Upper Macungie joining in 1950. Construction for the old Parkland High School on Orefield Road began in 1953. In 1999, the current Parkland High School on Cedar Crest Boulevard in Allentown was opened and the old Parkland High School on Orefield Road was renamed Orefield Middle School. When viewed from above, the layout of the current buildings and grounds closely approximates the shape of the Millennium Falcon, a spacecraft featured in the Star Wars films. School officials claim that the design was not deliberate.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2013)|
Parkland has many musical groups, including a dance team, orchestral ensembles, choral groups, and a concert band, jazz band, marching band, indoor colorguard, and indoor drumline.
Parkland competes in the Lehigh Valley Conference in District XI of the Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association. Parkland's primary athletic rivalry is with Emmaus High School in neighboring Emmaus. Cumulatively among all of its sports, Parkland has secured nine Pennsylvania state championship titles.
Parkland is particularly well known for several exceptional athletic programs, including its girls' and boys' basketball and girls' and boys' swimming teams, both of which won Pennsylvania state championships in 2006.[clarification needed] The school's girls' softball team won the first Pennsylvania state-wide championship ever held (in 1975).
In the 2005-2006 season, the girls' basketball team captured the PIAA state championship title. In the 2003-2004 season, the boys' basketball team captured the PIAA AApuAA state championship title.
The girls' swim team were PIAA class 3A state champions in 2001, 2003 and 2006 and have been ranked in the top 10 nationally.
In the 2011 Girls' Volleyball season, the girls captured the PIAA AAA state title.
- Michaela Conlin, actress, Fox's Bones
- Greg DeLong, former professional football player, Minnesota Vikings, Baltimore Ravens, Jacksonville Jaguars
- Peter Gruner, professional wrestler known as Billy Kidman
- Daylin Leach, Pennsylvania state senator
- Tim Massaquoi, former professional football player, Buffalo Bills, Miami Dolphins and Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Aimee Mullins, actress, World Trade Center
- Chris Renaud, director, Despicable Me, Despicable Me 2, The Lorax (film).
- Austin Scott, professional football player, New Yorker Lions
- Donald Snyder, former member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives, 1981–2000, and Majority Whip
- Andrea Tantaros, Fox News political analyst, writer and columnist for the New York Daily News
- Brant Weidner, former professional basketball player, San Antonio Spurs
- Lauren Weisberger, author, The Devil Wears Prada
- Andre Williams, professional football player 2014 Heisman Award finalist, New York Giants
- District Profile
- A History Of North Whitehall Retrieved on Feb 21, 2010
- Parkland High School Profile Retrieved on Feb 21, 2010
- Spears, Steve (August 4, 2011). "This high school made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved April 12, 2012.
- Hibbard, Laura (April 16, 2012). "Millennium Falcon Look-Alike High School Delights 'Star Wars' Fans". Huffington Post. Retrieved April 19, 2012.
- LVIAC Historical Stats.
- "Final 2002 Super 25 Rankings". USA Today. December 24, 2002.
- Macmillan Speakers - Aimee Mullins Bio[dead link] Retrieved on Feb 21, 2010
- "Donald William Snyder (Republican)". Official Pennsylvania House of Representatives Profile. Pennsylvania House of Representatives. Archived from the original on 2000-02-01.
- Williams, Andre D. (July 5, 2007). "For Brant Weidner, time in NBA was all too brief: The former Parkland High star recalls his half a season with the Spurs in 1983-84". The Morning Call.[dead link]
- Lauren Weisberg Official Bio[dead link] Retrieved of Feb 21 ,2010
- Parkland High School Official Home Page.
- Parkland High School athletics schedule and scores at HighSchoolSports.net.
- Parkland High School Page at Lehigh Valley Conference Official Web Site[dead link].
- Parkland's Odyssey of the Mind page[dead link].
- Parkland Model Congress Official Home Page.
- Parkland High School Trojan Art Gallery.