November 28, 1962 |
Paul Dinello (born November 28, 1962) is an American actor, comedian, writer, director, and an alumnus of DePaul University, Chicago-based The Second City, Improv Institute, and Annoyance Theatre. He is best known for his role on Comedy Central's Strangers with Candy as Geoffrey Jellineck, the closeted gay art teacher at Flatpoint High, who carries on a not-so-secret relationship with his colleague Chuck Noblet (Stephen Colbert).
Most recently, Dinello has made guest appearances on Colbert's show The Colbert Report as Tad, the building manager. The character is often berated by Colbert, who forces him to do dangerous things. Dinello has made at least five appearances on The Colbert Report, including a tumbling act with Colbert and their Strangers co-star Sedaris in July 2006. After a prolonged absence, Dinello returned as Tad on 12 July 2011 to help Colbert interview activist Dan Savage, in the role Colbert's "heterosexual accountability-buddy" and potential companion to a gay wedding. They resumed their insinuations of a sexual relationship from Strangers with Candy.
Dinello was also a writer, producer, and director for the Strangers with Candy film, which was released in July 2006. In January 2009, Participant Media announced that it would produce Dinello's next film, Mr. Burnout (about a burned out teacher seeking to rekindle his love of teaching).
Dinello dated his Strangers with Candy co-star Amy Sedaris for eight years after they met at Second City.
- "Paul Dinello Biography".
- Heterosexual Accountability Buddy. Colbert Nation. 12 July 2011. Retrieved 16 September 2011.
- Strangers With Candy Movie Reviews, Pictures, Rotten Tomatoes
- Graser, Marc. "Warner Bros. Plays Cat-and-Mouse Game." Daily Variety. January 22, 2009.
- Biersdorfer, J.D. (3 December 2010). "Holiday Books: Crafts". The New York Times. Retrieved 11 May 2014.
- Colbert Nation – Sign Off – Formula 401 Rumors
- Amy Sedaris August 26, 2013 Late Show with David Letterman on YouTube