People Are Crazy
|"People Are Crazy"|
|Single by Billy Currington|
|from the album Little Bit of Everything|
|Released||March 2, 2009|
|Billy Currington singles chronology|
"People Are Crazy" is the title of a song written by Bobby Braddock and Troy Jones, recorded by American country music artist Billy Currington. It was released in March 2009 as the second single from his album Little Bit of Everything. The song is Currington's ninth single on the Billboard country singles charts, and has become his third number-one single. On December 2, 2009, "People Are Crazy" was Grammy-nominated for Best Male Country Vocal Performance and Best Country Song. The song has also received a "Song of the Year" nomination on the 2010 Academy of Country Music Awards.
"People Are Crazy" is a mid-tempo centralizing on the male narrator and an old man whom he meets in a bar. In the first verse, the two of them converse, which leads to the old man saying, "God is great, beer is good / And people are crazy." They continue to converse throughout the second verse as well before parting ways. In the third verse, some time has passed, and the narrator reads the old man's obituary in the paper. He discovers that the now dead old man was a millionaire, and "left his fortune to / Some guy he barely knew" (i.e., the narrator). After this discovery, the narrator also declares that "people are crazy."
According to the blog maintained by the television network CMT, Currington said of the song, "It’s one of those that lifts your spirits and make you laugh. I knew the first time I heard it, I wanted to lay it down and record it for the album."
Bobby Braddock and Troy Jones wrote the song after Jones gave Braddock the idea for the line "God is great, beer is good and people are crazy." Jones was in Alabama and decided to take a drive through the country. He was trying to think of three things you can't argue with and came up with the three things. When the two were writing the song, Braddock then suggested the twist ending.
In his review of the album, Billboard critic Mikael Wood said that the song was a "briskly strummed country-rock number" that "handily reduces [Currington]'s worldview to a memorable one-liner", and added that the rest of the album "doesn't do much to complicate that philosophy". Juli Thanki of The 9513 gave the song a thumbs-down rating, saying that it was "feel-good like a Reader's Digest story" and did not have a country music sound other than "an occasionally audible steel guitar lick."
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
|US Billboard Hot 100||27|
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||48|
End of year charts
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||93|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||7|
"I Run to You"
by Lady Antebellum
|Billboard Hot Country Songs
August 1-August 8, 2009
by Darius Rucker
- "The 52nd Annual Grammy Awards Nominees List", Grammy.com, December 2, 2009
- Thanki, Juli (2009-03-06). "Billy Currington - "People Are Crazy"". The 9513. Retrieved 2009-04-29.
- Shelburne, Craig (2008-10-14). "Billy Currington will convince you that "People Are Crazy"". CMT. Retrieved 2009-04-29.
- Horner, Marianne (2009-08-31). "Story Behind the Song: Two Guys Having Fun Equals a Hit". Country Weekly 16 (29): 23.
- Wood, Mikael (2008-10-18). "Little Bit of Everything review". Billboard. Retrieved 2009-04-29.[dead link]
- "Billy Currington Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Country Songs for Billy Currington. Prometheus Global Media.
- "Billy Currington Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Billy Currington. Prometheus Global Media.
- "Billy Currington Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Billy Currington. Prometheus Global Media.
- "Year End Charts - Year-end songs - The Billboard Hot 100". Billboard. Retrieved November 12, 2010.
- "Best of 2009: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2009. Retrieved December 13, 2009.