Love Done Gone
|"Love Done Gone"|
|Single by Billy Currington|
|from the album Enjoy Yourself|
|Released||April 18, 2011|
|Billy Currington singles chronology|
"Love Done Gone" is the title of a song co-written by Shawn Camp and Marv Green, and recorded by American country music artist Billy Currington. It was released in April 2011 as the third single from his album Enjoy Yourself and his twelfth single overall.
Background and writing
Camp told Taste of Country that Green came in with some of the lyrics in the verses, but had no title for the song. They then decided to keep working on the song and the verses they had already. "I was thinking of a situation my brother was in at the time," said Green. "He was going through a breakup, and he was at the point in the relationship where he was fine with it coming to an end. They had their fun, but it was over." The song was originally on hold for George Strait but once it came off hold Currington cut the song.
The narrator discusses moving on from a relationship that was not working anymore, but also expressing that he has no regrets about the results, and that he is happier for both of them.
The main riff of the song is played on a horn section with backing vocalists singing "ba-ba-da, ba-da-ba" to the melody of the riff. Camp chose to add horns to the song after hearing a pop song with a similar effect while at a shopping mall.
C.M. Wilcox of The 9513 gave the song a "thumbs up", praising the lyrics for focusing on the "exhilarating part of moving beyond a relationship that[…]simply was not working anymore." He also called the song "a lively fusion of contemporary country and Dixieland jazz". Michael McCall of the Associated Press thought that the song was "Beach Boys-inspired", and Gary Graff of Billboard said that the song "mix[es] a tale of romantic woe with a bouncy, buoyant rhythm". Writing for Allmusic, Stephen Thomas Erlewine said that the album was "such a low-key, lazy record[…]that the singsongy chorus of 'Love Done Gone' positively blares".
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||11|
|US Billboard Hot 100||58|
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||83|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||47|
- Conaway, Alanna (June 24, 2011). ""Love Done Gone" — Lyrics Uncovered". Taste of Country. Retrieved July 30, 2011.
- Conaway, Alanna (September 12, 2011). "Story Behind the Song: A Happy Ending". Country Weekly 18 (37): 15. ISSN 1074-3235.
- Wilcox, C.M. (20 April 2011). "Billy Currington — "Love Done Gone"". The 9513. Retrieved 24 May 2011.
- McCall, Michael (2010-09-20). "Currington finds his vibe on CD". Associated Press. heraldtribune.com. Retrieved 2010-09-23.
- Graff, Gary (2010-09-24). "Billy Currington, "Enjoy Yourself"". Billboard. Retrieved 2010-10-05.
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas. "Enjoy Yourself - Billy Currington". Allmusic. Retrieved 2010-09-23.
- "Billy Currington Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Billy Currington.
- "Billy Currington Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Billy Currington.
- "Billy Currington Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Billy Currington.
- "Best of 2011: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2011. Retrieved December 10, 2011.