Enjoy Yourself (Billy Currington album)
|Studio album by Billy Currington|
|Released||September 21, 2010|
|Billy Currington chronology|
|Singles from Enjoy Yourself|
Enjoy Yourself is the fourth studio album from American country artist Billy Currington. It was released in the United States on September 21, 2010 through Mercury Nashville. Four singles were released from the album, including the Number Ones hits "Pretty Good at Drinkin' Beer" and "Let Me Down Easy."
In an interview with The Boot, Currington talked about the album, and how if reflects who he is as a person. “It’s a great mix, it reflects who I am. I’m definitely not just one thing. I’m the beach guy, I’m the country guy, I love my dirt roads and fishin’, but I love New York City and L.A. and Miami, too. "It's been a process for this particular project for like five years when I go back through my songs. I've been stashing all these songs that I get pitched every year in this one little spot on my computer -- it's probably been more like 10 years of songs now -- and so I feel like I'm so stashed up with songs that I didn't need to write or look for them."
Currington explained the recording behind Enjoy Yourself, saying "This record was about recording songwriter’s songs, I could have gone back and recorded a bunch of mine that I’ve written, but there were a lot of writers I wanted to record, like Shawn and Troy. I had to put their songs on this album.”
The album debuted at number nine on the US Billboard 200 selling 45,000 copies, becoming his first top ten album on the Billboard 200. It has also peaked at number two on the US Billboard Country Albums chart. As of the chart dated June 25, 2011, the album has sold 329,489 copies in the US.
|The Washington Post||(mixed)|
Upon its release, Enjoy Yourself received generally positive reviews from most music critics. At Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating out of 100 to reviews from mainstream critics, the album received an average score of 68, based on 4 reviews, which indicates "generally favorable reviews".
Matt Bjorke with Roughstock gave it a three and a half out of five star rating, saying that Currington "has perfected his formula; Enjoy Yourself is a mostly jovial affair that really feels like a tight collection of escapist, feel-good music. Stephen Thomas Erlewine with Allmusic also gave it a three and a half out of five star rating, saying "Everything rolls just a little bit too easily [...] its mellow vibes and occasional soft romantic touch feel true to Currington." Greg Victor with Parcbench gave it a 3½ rating, commenting "This album is full of music makes you want to dance and laugh and sing along; this album is the one I put on for my own enjoyment."
The Associated Press' Michael McCall said that "[on] Enjoy Yourself he zeroes in on an easy-going soul vibe, a sound that brings out a likable quality in Currington's Georgia-raised tenor." Bill Friskics-Warren with The Washington Post gave it a mixed review, saying that "[Currington] can pride himself on having made a record with the sort of warmth and intimacy that gives the work of neo-traditionalist elders such as George Strait and Alan Jackson such staying power." He also called the track "Like My Dog" "The only real misstep".
Jessica Phillips with Country Weekly gave it three stars, commented saying that it is "a perfect sleepy and summery soundtrack; this collection largely falls headlong into leisurely tales of drinking and fishing rather than the more spirited or smouldering fare that spurred earlier hits." Blake Boldt with The 9513 gave it two and a half stars out of five, calling it a "pretty bland modern country album" and said that Currington "is a little too spic-and-span. None of these ten songs is even remotely suspenseful; conflicts and concerns are neatly wrapped up within four minutes." Dave Heaton with PopMatters gave it five out of ten stars, and criticized the songwriting on the album, saying " on a songwriting level, Currington has dropped any real storytelling emphasis or attention to specific details.
|1.||"All Day Long"||Frankie Ballard, Dallas Davidson, Ben Hayslip||3:49|
|2.||"Love Done Gone"||Shawn Camp, Marv Green||3:32|
|3.||"Pretty Good at Drinkin' Beer"||Troy Jones||2:58|
|4.||"Until You"||Dave Barnes||4:45|
|5.||"Like My Dog"||Harley Allen, Scotty Emerick||2:48|
|6.||"Perfect Day"||Dean Dillon, Dale Dodson, Emerick||2:55|
|7.||"Let Me Down Easy"||Marty Dodson, Jennifer Hanson, Mark Nesler||3:50|
|8.||"Bad Day of Fishin'"||Billy Currington, Emerick, John Scott Sherrill||3:04|
|9.||"Enjoy Yourself"||Bob DiPiero, Emerick, Sherrill||3:00|
|10.||"Lil' Ol' Lonesome Dixie Town"||Camp, Billy Joe Walker, Jr.||3:21|
|US Billboard Top Country Albums||2|
|US Billboard 200||9|
End of year charts
|US Billboard Top Country Albums||47|
|Year||Single||Peak chart positions|
|2010||"Pretty Good at Drinkin' Beer"||1||41||50|
|"Let Me Down Easy"||1||46||71|
|2011||"Love Done Gone"||11||58||83|
|"Like My Dog"A||24||102||—|
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart|
|United States (RIAA)||Gold|
- "Billy Currington : News : THATNASHVILLESOUND.COM - Billy Currington Article". theboot.com. Retrieved 2010-09-10.
- Caulfield, Keith (2010-09-29). "Zac Brown Band Bows At No. 1 on Billboard 200". Billboard. Retrieved 2010-09-29.
- "Ronnie Dunn Lands #1 on Album Sales Chart". Roughstock. 2011-06-15. Retrieved 2011-06-15.
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas. "Enjoy Yourself - Billy Currington". Allmusic. Retrieved 2010-09-23.
- McCall, Michael (2010-09-20). "Currington finds his vibe on CD". Associated Press. heraldtribune.com. Retrieved 2010-09-23.
- Graff, Gary (2010-09-24). "Billy Currington, "Enjoy Yourself"". Billboard. Retrieved 2010-10-05.
- Phillips, Jessica (2010-09-21). "Enjoy Yourself : Billy Currington - Reviews - Country Weekly Magazine". Country Weekly. Retrieved 2010-09-23.
- Wood, Mikael (2010-09-21). "Enjoy Yourself". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 2010-10-05.
- Victor, Greg (2010-09-21). ""Enjoy Yourself" with Billy Currington’s new album (Review)". parcbench.com. Retrieved 2010-10-18.
- Heaton, Dave (2010-10-01). "Billy Currington: Enjoy Yourself < PopMatters". PopMatters. Retrieved 2010-10-05.
- Bjorke, Matt (2010-09-20). "Billy Currington - Enjoy Yourself". roughstock.com. Retrieved 2010-09-23.
- Friskics-Warren, Friskics-Warren (2010-09-21). "Review of Billy Currington's ÂEnjoy Yourself'". The Washington Post. Retrieved 2010-09-23.
- Boldt, Blake (2010-09-13). "Album Review: Billy Currington – Enjoy Yourself". The 9513. Retrieved 2010-09-23.
- "Enjoy Yourself Reviews, Ratings, Credits, and More at Metacritic". Metacritic. Retrieved 2010-10-05.
- "Best of 2010 - Top Country Albums". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. Retrieved 2010-12-31.
- Pretty Good at Drinkin' Beer - Billy Currington, Billboard, retrieved Janusry 2, 2011
- Let Me Down Easy - Billy Currington, Billboard, retrieved January 2, 2011
- Love Done Gone - Billy Currington, Billboard, retrieved June 11, 2012
- Like My Dog - Billy Currington, Billboard, retrieved June 11, 2012
- "Bubbling Under Hot 100 Week of February 11, 2012". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved September 13, 2012.
- "American album certifications – Billy Currington – Enjoy Yourself". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH