Petorca is a Chilean town and commune located in the Petorca Province, Valparaíso Region. The commune spans an area of 1,516.6 km2 (586 sq mi).
According to the 2002 census of the National Statistics Institute, Petorca has 9,440 inhabitants (4,806 men and 4,634 women). Of these, 4,535 (48%) lived in urban areas and 4,905 (52%) in rural areas. The population grew by 1.8% (167 persons) between the 1992 and 2002 censuses.
As a commune, Petorca is a third-level administrative division of Chile administered by a municipal council, headed by an alcalde who is directly elected every four years. The 2008-2012 alcalde is Gustavo Valdenegro Rubillo. The council has the following members:
- Rodrigo Alfonso Cuevas Vivanco
- Juan Prado Diaz
- Patricio Esteban Rojas O'Rian
- Augusto Humberto Correa Correa
- Ignacio Villalobos Henriquez
- Rene Gonzalo Rodriguez Fredes
Within the electoral divisions of Chile, Petorca is represented in the Chamber of Deputies by Mr. Eduardo Cerda (PDC) and Mrs. Andrea Molina (UDI) as part of the 10th electoral district, (together with La Ligua Cabildo, Papudo, Zapallar, Puchuncaví, Quintero, Nogales, Calera, La Cruz, Quillota and Hijuelas). The commune is represented in the Senate by Ignacio Walker Prieto (PDC) and Lily Pérez San Martín (RN) as part of the 5th senatorial constituency (Valparaíso-Cordillera).
- ^ a b "Municipality of Petorca" (in Spanish). Retrieved 28 July 2010.
- ^ a b c d e "National Statistics Institute" (in Spanish). Retrieved 10 November 2010.
- ^ "Chile Time". WorldTimeZones.org. Retrieved 2010-07-28.
- ^ "Chile Summer Time". WorldTimeZones.org. Retrieved 2010-07-28.