Porta Coeli (Puerto Rico)
Convento de Porta Coeli
Porta Coeli Church - San Germán, Puerto Rico
|Location||Plaza Porta Coeli, San Germán, Puerto Rico|
|NRHP Reference #||76002252|
|Added to NRHP||September 8, 1976|
Porta Coeli ("Gateway to Heaven") Convent church, or El Convento de Santo Domingo de Porta Coeli in Spanish, is one of the oldest church structures in the western hemisphere, located in San Germán, Puerto Rico.
In 1609, the Dominican Order built the Convento de Porta Coeli at the crest of a hill in what is now San Germán Historic District. During the 18th century the Convento was reconstructed and a church built next to it. The single nave church was constructed of rubble masonry with stucco surfaced walls and a wood truss roof.
In 1949 Ubaldino Ramírez de Arellano, Monseñor Mac Manus, Bishop of Ponce, Senator Santiago R. Palmer and others achieved that for a dollar the church of Porta Coeli in San German be sold to the Government of Puerto Rico so that it be responsible for its safekeeping and preservation.
It was restored by the Institute of Puerto Rican Culture and now houses the Museo de Arte Religioso, a museum of religious paintings and wooden carvings dating back from the 18th and 19th centuries. It was listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places as "Convento de Porta Coeli" in 1976.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2009-03-13.
- "Convento de Porta Coeli". Historic Places in Puerto Rico . National Park Service. Retrieved 2009-05-25.
- "Capilla de Santo Domingo de Porta Coeli". Luis M. Iriarte R. Retrieved July 10, 2010.
- Museo de Arte Religioso Santo Domingo de Porta Coeli, Institute of Puerto Rican Culture (Spanish).
- Museum information with photos
|This article about a property in Puerto Rico on the National Register of Historic Places is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a church building or other Christian place of worship in Puerto Rico is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|