|PowerJet SaM 146 at Paris Air Show 2011|
|First run||2008 |
|Major applications||Sukhoi Superjet 100|
|Developed from||CFM International CFM56|
The PowerJet SaM146 is a turbofan engine produced by the PowerJet joint venture (not to be confused with Power Jets) between Snecma (Safran) of France and NPO Saturn of Russia. Developing 15,400 to 17,800 pounds of thrust, the SaM146 is used on the Sukhoi Superjet 100.
Snecma is in charge of the core engine, control system (FADEC), transmissions (accessory gearbox, transfer gearbox), overall engine integration and flight testing. NPO Saturn is responsible for the components in the low pressure section and engine installation on the Sukhoi Superjet 100 regional aircraft and ground testing.
Design and development
The SaM146 design is based on the CFM56. In keeping with the design and development of jet engines from manufacturers like Pratt & Whitney, General Electric and Rolls Royce, the engine has been conceived to meet customer requirements regarding fuel burn, cost of operation and dispatch reliability.
The core was developed by Snecma, drawing on its M88 ‘hot section’ military engine experience and the DEM21 core demonstrator project – with its six-stage compressor and single-stage, high-pressure turbine with active blade-tip clearance control – and various other modern design features (such as single-piece bladed disks).
The SaM146 provides 62 to 77.8KN of thrust (6,200 to 7,700 kg). In April 2003, Sukhoi Civil Aircraft Company selected the SaM146 for its Superjet 100 regional aircraft, to be produced in 75 and 95-seat versions.
The SaM146 utilizes a single-stage turbine and as a new design has been developed to meet current and projected environmental standards, including regulations of the ICAO Committee of Aviation Environmental Protection Sixth Session (CAEP VI), set to become effective in 2008.
The SaM146 entered into service in 2011 on the SSJ100 and yet accumulated more than 100,000 flight hours with an exceptional dispatch reliability rate of 99.9%.
In 2014, the SaM146 is operated by several airlines: Interjet (Mexico), Aeroflot, Moskovia Airlines, Yakutia Airlines, Gazpromavia, Centre-South, UTair Aviation (Russia), Lao Central Airlines (Laos) and Sky Aviation (Indonesia).
Powerjet has already delivered more than 100 SaM146 engines to Russian airframer SCAC for the SSJ100 program, and plans to raise the production rate towards a goal of building 100 engines in 2015.
- SaM146 1S17
- SaM146 1S18
- Type: Twin spool, High-bypass turbofan
- Length: 2.2 m (87 in)
- Diameter: 1.22 m (48 in)
- Dry weight: 1,708 kg (3,765 lb) (*)
- Compressor: 1 stage fan, 3-stage low pressure, 6-stage high pressure axial compressor
- Combustors: Annular
- Turbine: 1-stage high pressure, 3-stage low pressure
- Fuel type: Jet A, Jet A-1, TS-1, RP (*)
- Maximum thrust: 76.84 kN (17,270 lbf) (*) (Maximum takeoff thrust)
- Overall pressure ratio: 23.8:1
- Bypass ratio: 4.43:1
- Specific fuel consumption: 0.374 lb/lbf-hr (Dry) and 0.629 lb/lbf-hr (Cruise)
- Thrust-to-weight ratio: 5.3:1
- Comparable engines
- General Electric CF34
- Pratt & Whitney PW6000
- Progress D-436
- Rolls-Royce BR700
- Rolls-Royce Tay (turbofan)
- Related lists
- PowerJet SM146 At-A-Glance. Aviation Week Program Profile (subscription required). Retrieved: 4 August 2010.
- "Franco-Russian Venture Will Seek To Evolve Into World-Class Engine Player", Aviation Week & Space Technology, August 1, 2004.
- "SAM146 The new standard in regional jet propulsion"
- "Powering Up Next-Gen Engine MRO" By Bill Burchell, Aviation Week. 2 November 2010
- EASA certifies PowerJet SaM146 for Superjet
- "Superjet's SaM146 engine secures Russian certification". Retrieved 2010-08-16.
- Tom Zaitsev, « PowerJet set to throttle up SaM146 rates », Flight International, 4 March 2014
- Gas Turbine Engines. Aviation Week Aerospace 2010. (subscription required). Retrieved: 4 August 2010.
- . EASA Type Certificate Data Sheet. 23 June 2010. Retrieved: 4 August 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to PowerJet SaM146.|
- PowerJet SaM146 product page
- PowerJet press kit – Aero India 2009 – February 11 - 15, 2009 (pdf)
- Sam146 Fan Stress Characteristics Optimization by IOSO (pdf, 120Kb)
- Sam146 Fan Efficiency Optimization by IOSO (pdf, 220Kb)
- The Powerjet chairman speaks about SaM146