Prince Maurizio, Duke of Montferrat
|Duke of Montferrat|
|Father||Victor Amadeus III|
|Mother||Maria Antonietta of Spain|
|Born||13 December 1762
Royal Palace of Turin, Turin
|Died||1 September 1799
Palazzo Carcassona, Sardinia
|Burial||Cathedral of Alghero, Sardinia|
Maurizio of Savoy (Maurizio Giuseppe Maria; 13 December 1762 – 1 September 1799) was a prince of Savoy and styled the Duke of Montferrat.
Montferrat was born at the Royal Palace of Turin in 1762. He was the ninth child of Victor Amadeus of Savoy (then styled the "Duke of Savoy") and Maria Antonietta of Spain. He was styled the Duke of Montferrat from birth. The capital of Montferrat, Casale Monferrato, was the scene of great celebration at his birth in his honour. As a royal prince, he received an appanage of 20 Million Piedmont scudo.
His oldest brother Charles Emmanuel IV fled to Rome. In June 1799 his brother Charles Emmanuel created him Governor of the province of Sassari. Montferrat died on the island in 1799. He died of Malaria and was buried at the Cathedral of Alghero. His younger brother Giuseppe, Count of Asti also died of malaria in 1802.
Titles and styles
- 13 December 1762 – 1 September 1799 His Royal Highness the Duke of Montferrat
- "Savoia". Retrieved 26 August 2010.
- Conti. Vincenzo de: Notizie storiche della cittá di Casale del Monferrato, Volume 10, Tipografia Mantelli, 1841, p. 229
- Regolo. Luciano: La reginella santa: tutto il racconto della vita di Maria Cristina di Savoia, sovrana delle Due Sicilie, Simonelli Editore, 2000, p. 450
- Memorie di religione, di morale e di letteratura, Eredi Soliani, 1833, p. 115
- Bertolotti, Davide: Istoria della R. Casa di Savoia, Antonio Fontana, Turin, 1830, p. 289