Rajalakshmi Engineering College
|Rajalakshmi Engineering College|
|ராஜலட்சுமி பொறியியல் கல்லூரி|
|Motto||"Hard Work and Discipline"|
|Type||Private, technology, education, Technical research institution, Engineering College|
|Principal||Dr. G. Thanigaiarasu|
|Location||Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
|Campus||Thandalam, Sriperumbudur, Kanchipuram, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India. (Sub - Urban)|
|Accreditation||AICTE, NBA, NAAC, COA, TÜV NORD, TÜV SÜD, CII, IEI, DAAD, MSME, NASSCOM.|
|Colors||White and Blue|
|Affiliations||Anna University, Government of Tamil Nadu.|
Rajalakshmi Engineering College (R.E.C) (Tamil: ராஜலட்சுமி பொறியியல் கல்லூரி), (Hindi: राजलक्ष्मी इंजीनियरिंग कॉलेज), is an engineering college in Thandalam, near Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India. The college was established in 1997 by the Rajalakshmi Educational Trust, Rajalakshmi Institutions and has been approved by All India Council of Technical Education (AICTE), New Delhi. It is an affiliate of Anna University, South India. The college has been awarded ISO9001: 2000 certificate for academic standard by TUV Suddeutschland, Germany. The college is located near Hyundai Motors and SIPCOT.
Initial years 
In 1997, the college was granted permission to conduct engineering courses in the disciplines of Mechanical Engineering, Electronics and Communication Engineering and Computer Science Engineering, awarded by the Anna University.
The college was later expanded with 11 undergraduate and 11 postgraduate programs.The college started the Electrical and Electronics Engineering and Information Technology in 1999 and followed by Automobile Engineering in the year 2006, Automobile Department of Rajalakshmi Engineering College ranks good after Madras Institute of Technology under Anna University affiliation. Aeronautical Engineering in the year 2005, Biomedical Engineering, Biotechnology and Civil Engineering.The college also started to offer B.Ed and M.Ed programmes in 2006, Nursing in the year 2008.One of the integral course under civil and construction department named B.Arch (Architecture) was also started in the year 2011 and approved by Council of Architecture.The Premier Engineering college to start the course of Architecture.
Sister Concerned Institutions 
- Rajalakshmi College of Educations, 2006, offering B.Ed and M.Ed programmes(Teacher Training), approved and affiliated to Tamil Nadu Teachers Education University.
- Rajalakshmi Institute of Technology, 2008.
- Rajalakshmi College of Nursing, 2008, approved and affiliated to Nursing Council of India and Tamil Nadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University.
- Rajalakshmi School of Architecture, 2010.
- Rajalakshmi Vidyashram.
- Rajalakshmi Automobiles Private Limited ( Dealers of Mahindra Navistar and Mahindra Construction Equipments).
- Rajalakshmi Education Private Limited, 2012, offering B.Sc, M.Sc and MBA programmes.
- The college is ISO 9001:2008 Certified Institution.Rajalakshmi Engineering College was awarded the International Organization for Standardization 9002 certificate by the TÜV NORD  of Hanover, Germany and TÜV SÜD of Munich, Germany.
- Approved and accredited by the National Board of Accreditation (NBA)  of AICTE.
- The National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC)  has accredited the college for period of five years with validity from 31 March 2007.
- The college is accredited by companies like Tata Consultancy Services, Cognizant Technology Solutions, WIPRO Trusted Academic Partner and Infosys Campus Connect.
- Recognized the college as 'Centre of Excellence in Automotives' by Ashok Leyland and 'Centre of Excellence for Certified Software Center' by IBM.
- Programmes at Rajalakshmi Engineering College are accredited by the Institution of Engineers, India (IEI).
Memorandum of Understanding 
MOUs for Academic Excellence
- MOUs with AEC business school for Singapore polytechnic
- MOUs with Moscow Aviation Institute, MAI
- MOUs with University of Sunderland, UK
- MOUs with Bahir Dar University, Ethiopia
- MOUs with University of Wolverhampton, UK
- MOUs with University of Regina, Canada
MOUs for Strengthening Industry-Institute Interaction
- MOUs for IBM Global Services, Bangalore
- MOUs for Super Auto Forge, Chennai
- MOUs for Infosys
- MOUs for FLSmidth Private Limited, Chennai
- MOUs for Firestream Worldwide Inc., Chennai
Rajalakshmi Engineering College has signed Memorandum of Understanding (MOUs) with Robert Bosch GmbH for technology and research advancement, for recruiting students from the college and faculty exchange, and to set up a joint Certification Training Centre on the Rajalakshmi Engineering College campus at Thandalam, and Aban Group, the bio-technology division of Aban Infrastructure, an engineering firm in Chennai in the field of research and development recently.The MoU will focus on bio-fuels from algae, which is an alternate fuel. It is a fossil fuel that uses algae as its source of natural deposits.
Aban Group and Rajalakshmi Engineering College will work together to identify and evaluate potential biofuel algal strains in the fields of biofuels, bioenergy, bioremediation and environmental biotechnology.
- Central Library
- Departmental Libraries
- Extensive collection of academic volumes and titles
- Popular periodicals
- National and International journals
- Supplementary digital resources (CD-ROMs and audio cassettes)
- IEEE online
- Bookbank facilities available to social peoples and students
- Computer labs
- WiFi Zone
- Extra curricular activities
- Light Music Club is lead by the Airtel Super Singer Junior Season 1 Title winner Krishnamoorty conducted by Vijay TV.
- Centrally air-conditioned
- Capacity to seat 500
- Outdoor facilities
- Athletic track
- Cricket pitch
- Basketball courts
- Volleyball courts
- Football fields
- Dining Halls
- Special Dining Hall is Available for VIPs
- Student's Dining Hall is properly maintained
- Lunch Provided for students
- ATM provided by the Punjab National Bank
- Official mail id's are provided to Students,Admin staffs,Department faculties,Head of departments,Dean of academics,Principal,Vice-Principal,Lab Faculties and the placement training officers through collaboration with Google by Google groups in the name of MY REC to share all the academics, co-curricular and extra curricular activities.
- Latest programs,symposiums,technical events,value added programs,journals,conferences,webinars and other latest news about colleges are projected for students and faculty in the name of WHAT'S NEW and Events.
- College also provide online courseware notes,lesson plan,syllabus,e-books,videos,images of each subjects for all the semesters and for all the departments in name of E-Learning for better understanding of concepts for the students.
Under-graduate programmes 
B.E (Bachelor of Engineering) Programs/B-Tech Programs
- Aeronautical Engineering
- School of Architecture
- Automobile Engineering
- Biomedical Engineering
- Biotechnology Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Information Technology
- Mechanical Engineering
Post-graduate programmes 
M.E (Master of Engineering) Programs/M-Tech Programs
- Humanities & Sciences
- Communication systems
- Computer-aided design/CAD/CAM
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Engineering Design
- Medical Electronics
- Power electronics and Drives
- Software engineering
School of Master of Computer Applications
- Master of Computer Applications
School of Management Studies
- Management Studies
Rajalakshmi Education Private Limited 
The Rajalakshmi Education Private Limited has also signed MoUs with University of Worcester, UK, to jointly offer courses in Computing and Management. The college is recognized as a scientific and Industrial Organization by the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research (DSIR) Government of India.They are actively engaged in R&D activities aiming at the development of innovative processes and products. Based on the strength of such R&D activities.The Rajalakshmi Engineering College also signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoUs) with Edexcel, a UK company, is one of England, Wales and Northern Ireland's five main examination boards, and is wholly owned by Pearson, the world's largest education publishing and technology company which is part of Pearson PLC, the global publisher and owner of Penguin and Financial Times. Its name is a portmanteau word derived from the words "educational" and "excellence". The company offers a variety of qualifications, including A levels (GCEs), GCSEs and the BTEC suite of vocational qualifications. It also offers work-based learning qualifications - including BTEC Apprenticeships and NVQs - via Pearson Work Based Learning. REPL has been recognized as an International center by Edexcel for the following certification programmes.
- Edexcel BTEC Level 5 HND Higher National Diploma of Edexcel, U.K.
- Edexcel BTEC Level 7 Extended Diploma in Strategic Management.
REPL currently offers the following programmes which are in great demand in India and abroad
- Master of Science (M.Sc) Business or Master of Business Administration (MBA) Strategic Management
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc – Hons) Computing
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc – Hons) Computer Games Design and Development
World Universities Debating Championship 
Rajalakshmi Engineering College is hosting the Chennai Worlds 2014 which is held first time in India in the city of Chennai. The World Universities Debating Championship (WUDC) is the world's largest debating tournament, and one of the largest annual international student events in the world.It is a parliamentary debating event, held using the British Parliamentary Debate format. Each year, the event is hosted by a university selected by the World Universities Debating Council. The tournament is colloquially referred to as "Worlds" and the winners of the open competition acknowledged as the "World Champions". The Rajalakshmi Engineering College has been selected to host the World Universities Debating Championship along with the R.V. College of Engineering and National Law School of India University, Bangalore. Rajalakshmi Engineering College is also providing their college infrastructure and facilities to conduct 9 preliminary round for the debating competition and also it is the venue for the WUDC.
Rajalakshmi Engineering College (Rajalakshmi Institutions) has also been the official partner of the Aircel Chennai Open from 2012 Aircel Chennai Open and 2013 Aircel Chennai Open. The Chennai Open (also known during its run as the Gold Flake Open and the Tata Open) is a professional tennis tournament played on outdoor hard courts. It is currently part of the ATP World Tour 250 series of the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) World Tour. It is held annually in January at the SDAT Tennis Stadium in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India.
|Engineering – India|
Media Exposure 
The Rajalakshmi Engineering College had Media exposure in Tamil cinema. Some scenes have been shot in college campus in the movie named Udhayam NH4,is a 2013 Tamil romantic thriller road movie directed by debutant Manimaran, a former associate of Vetrimaaran. The film features Siddharth and newcomer Ashrita Shetty in the lead roles.
Societies and extra-curricular activities 
With the aim of technical skill and personality development, societies, clubs and forums, headed by members of the faculty, have been formed.
Societies of the college:
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Students Branch
- Indian Society for Technical Education] (ISTE)
- Indian Society for Training and Development (ISTD)
- Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)
Associations of the college:
- Society of Mechanical Engineers (SME)
- Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)
Clubs and forums:
The Automobile Engineering and Mechanical Engineering Students of the college are undergoing internship cum training by WABCO India Pvt. Ltd. every year from their second year to fourth year with influence of Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE - India). This program named Automotive Student Orientation Program (aSOP) is residential course with 11 modules spread over entire degree which principle aim is to reduce the training period for freshers recruited by the company.
Thinklabs Technosolutions Pvt Ltd, styled Thinklabs, (formerly known as TRI Technosolutions Pvt Ltd) is an Indian venture in the field of educational robotics and embedded systems, founded in November 2005. Thinklabs is currently launched at the Rajalakshmi Engineering College. ThinkLABS started with the simple aim 'Robotics simplified for the masses'; by developing an active interest of youth in robotics and embedded systems, ThinkLABS aims to lay a strong foundation for India's technical development.It gives training to Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Information Technology, Electronics and Communication Engineering and Computer Science Engineering students of the college.
Entrepreneurship Development Cell 
KRIYA is the EDC of REC and is located in the first floor of the workshop block . The purpose of the cell is to develop individuals across socio economic backgrounds, who have the courage to dream, the drive to make a difference, the ability in themselves and the perseverance to convert their thoughts into action. The cell plans to prepare a pool of next generation entrepreneurs to the economic and social development of our mother nation. Educating and training people for developing industrial capabilities through positive training involvement will be the core strategy of the Entrepreneurship Development Cell.
The KRIYA Cell is designed exclusively by the students of REC.
- A system with internet facility.
- Library contains business related books and magazines.
- Mind games
Mission REACH (Relevance & Excellence in ACHieving new heights in educational institutions) programme has been launched in the year 2000, as a Technology Vision 2020 for India initiative, by Technology Information, Forecasting and Assessment Council (TIFAC), an autonomous organization of the Department of Science & Technology.Under the Mission, TIFAC establishes COREs (Centres of Relevance & Excellence) in Educational Institutions in diverse fields of emerging Science and Technology. These COREs form a tripartite relationship between the Government, Industry and Educational Institutions to provide technically qualified manpower of international standards. Rajalaskhmi Engineering College (REC), Chennai has been selected for the establishment of CORE in the area of “MACHINE VISION”. The CORE has been launched and is active since 14 February 2009.
The CORE will focus on the study of machine vision methods and techniques whereby artificial vision systems can be constructed and gainfully employed in practical applications. Machine Vision is the application of computer vision to industry and manufacturing, and is an engineering field which incorporates several disciplines such as computer science, optics, mechanical engineering, and industrial automation.
A common application of machine vision is the inspection of manufacturing goods for quality control as this requires high-speed, high magnification, 24/7 operation with repeatability of measurements. Machine vision systems can also use digital input/output devices and computer networks to control other manufacturing equipment such as robotic arms.
Industry Partners are
- Super Auto Forge Ltd.
- Tessolve Services Pvt. Ltd.
- Tessolve Services Pvt. Ltd.
- Nanchil Conductors Pvt. Ltd.
- Ranga Informatics Private Limited.
- Online Solutions (Imaging) Pvt.Ltd.
- Lucid Imaging Private Limited
National MEMS Design Centre (NMDC) at REC
A National MEMS Design Centre (NMDC) at our institute has been established under National Program on Micro and Smart Systems (NPMASS) for the benefit of users from the region. REC motivates the research activity in the field of MEMS by proper utilization of the facilities provided by NPMASS from design to fabrication of prototype MEMS products and specific field applications. REC will also facilitate external researchers from other interested institutes (academic or National Labs subject to individual software licensing conditions) to use the design tools.
The National Program on Micro and Smart Systems (NPMASS), has been launched after the success of National Program on Smart Materials (NPSM), which is a unique program, working towards the basic aim of creating awareness in India about MEMS and Smart Systems. The NPMASS under Government of India is wholly supported by Defence Research & Development Organization (DRDO) through Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA), and is endorsed by the five departments DRDO, DOS, DST, CSIR and DIT.
Since the campus is located 35 kilometres (21.7 mi) away from Chennai city, transportation is provided between Chennai city and the college. The college now runs over 57 buses. Buses are operated on Saturdays and Sundays for special classes, Sports etc. On special occasions buses are sent for industrial visits and social service activities. The College owns four of the buses, one ambulance and a van. A transport committee headed by a convener takes care of the smooth operation of buses. A staff member in charge of the bus (one teaching and one supporting) also ensure the smooth functioning of the buses. The campus is located close to the Hyundai manufacturing plant and SIPCOT.
Medical Center 
The campus houses a medical center near the hostel blocks, with a nurse and doctor available round the clock to attend to emergencies. There is an emergency Ambulance van available round the clock.
Alumni association 
The alumni associations is very active in promoting interactions and camaraderie among the alumni, staff and the management.Besides helping the alumni in all possible ways, it also lends its support to the college to achieve its cherished goals, its vision and mission.REC Alumni Association has their own website http://alumni.rajalakshmi.org to do online registration for getting regular e-mail news letters about the various campus & alumni activities.
See also 
- Rajalakshmi Institute of Technology
- Anna University
- Anna University Chennai
- National Board of Accreditation
- National Assessment & Accreditation Council
- All India Council for Technical Education
- Council of Architecture
- http://www.rajalakshmiinstitutes.edu.in Rajalakshmi Institutions
- Memorandum of Understanding
- Chennai Worlds 2014
- Rajalakshmi Institutions
- "Best Engineering colleges 2012". India Today. 8 June 2012. Retrieved 11 June 2012.
- "Top Engineering Colleges". Outlook India. 16 June 2012. Retrieved 17 June 2012.
- "India's Top Engineering Colleges 2012 (DQ-CMR T-Schools Survey 2012)". archive.dqindia.com/. Dataquest. 15 December 2012. Retrieved 10 January 2012.
- "Udhayam NH 4 is a romantic thriller". rediff. April 16, 2013. Retrieved 2013-04-16.
- "Student Life". REC website.
- http://www.superautoforge.net/ Super Auto Forge Ltd.
- http://www.solitontech.com/ Soliton Technologies Pvt. Ltd.
- http://www.tessolve.com/ Tessolve Services Pvt. Ltd.
- National MEMS Design Centre
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Rajalakshmi Engineering College|