Ravi K. Chandran
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2011)|
|Ravi K. Chandran|
|Born||Maduranthakam, Tamil Nadu, India|
|Occupation||Cinematographer, Film Director|
Ravi K. Chandran is an Indian cinematographer. He has frequently collaborated with leading Indian filmmakers like Priyadarshan, Mani Ratnam, Rajiv Menon, Sanjay Leela Bhansali and A. R. Murugadoss. Ravi has won two Filmfare Awards and one Southern Filmfare Award during his career.
Ravi K. Chandran was born in the village Maduranthakam, Tamil Nadu as the youngest child. Following graduating from the A. M. Jain College in 1982, Ravi K. Chandran started his career in the film industry. In addition to this, he works as the Director of Photography of many music videos and ad films. He began his career by assisting his brother, K. Ramachandra Babu and later turned into an independent cinematographer in 1992 by filming Kilukkampetti, a Malayalam film directed by Shaji Kailas. Later he donned camera for a more Shaji Kailas directorials including Thalasthanam, Sthalathe Pradhana Payyans, Ekalavyan, Mafia and The King. His entry into Tamil cinema was in 1994 through Honest Raj starring Vijayakanth.
He has since worked as a cinematographer on Tamil films as well as Hindi films. Movies he has worked on as cinematographer includeVirasat (1997), Minsaara Kanavu (1997), Punaradhivasam (1999), Kandukondain Kandukondain (2000), Citizen (2001), Dil Chahta Hai (2001), Kannathil Muthamittal (2002), Boys (2003), Aayitha Ezhuthu (2004), Yuva (2004), Paheli (2004), Black (2005), Fanaa (2006), Saawariya (2007) .Now he is planning to direct a Tamil film Yaan which features Jiiva as lead.
|Sthalathe Pradhana Payyans||1993||Malayalam|
|Injakkadan Mathai & Sons||1993||Malayalam|
|Virasat||1997||Hindi||Filmfare Award for Best Cinematographer|
|Kabhi Na Kabhi||1998||Hindi|
|Kannezhuthi Pottum Thottu||1999||Malayalam|
|Raja Ko Rani Se Pyar Ho Gaya||2000||Hindi|
|Dil Chahta Hai||2001||Hindi||Nominated - Star Screen Award for Best Cinematography|
|Kannathil Muthamittal||2002||Tamil||Filmfare Award for Best Cinematographer – South
ITFA Best Cinematographer Award
|Mujhse Dosti Karoge!||2002||Hindi|
|Calcutta Mail||2003||Hindi||Nominated - Zee Cine Award for Best Cinematography|
|Koi... Mil Gaya||2003||Hindi|
|Black||2005||Hindi||Filmfare Award for Best Cinematographer|
|Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi||2008||Hindi||German Public Bollywood Award for Best Cinematography|
|My Name Is Khan||2010||Hindi|
|Ladies vs Ricky Bahl||2011||Hindi||For One Song|
Awards and nominations
- 1998: Best Cinematographer - Virasat
- 2002: Best Cinematographer – South - Kannathil Muthamittal
- 2006: Best Cinematographer - Black
- 2002: Nominated, Star Screen Award for Best Cinematography - Dil Chahta Hai
- 2004: Nominated, Zee Cine Award for Best Cinematography - Yuva
- 2004: Nominated, Best Cinematography - Calcutta Mail
- "Ravi K Chandran's Moroccan dreams". indiatimes.com. 2012-10-06. Retrieved 2012-11-26.
- "Why ace cinematographer Ravi K Chandran turned director". rediff.com. 2012-09-03. Retrieved 2012-11-26.
- Subramanian, Karthik (2011-10-29). "Fame by frame". The Hindu (Chennai, India).
- Official website
- Ravi K. Chandran at the Internet Movie Database
- Interview: Nowhere Else in the world people clap for a cinematographer: Ravi K Chandran
- "Spotted: Ravi K Chandran shooting for My Name is Khan" - Rediff.com