Red Rubber Ball
|"Red Rubber Ball"|
|Single by The Cyrkle|
|from the album Red Rubber Ball|
|Released||April 4, 1966|
|Writer(s)||Paul Simon / Bruce Woodley|
The song is sung from the perspective of a man who has recently exited an unfulfilling relationship in which his significant other never gave him much attention or affection. He now looks forward to the future with a positive attitude.
It was co-written by Paul Simon (of Simon and Garfunkel) and Bruce Woodley (of The Seekers). According to Cyrkle guitarist Tom Dawes, Simon offered it to The Cyrkle when they were opening for Simon and Garfunkel on tour. The song's tracks were recorded in stereo, with the bass, lead guitar, and percussion on the right track, acoustic guitar and electric organ on left, and the vocals on both.
In an interview on The Colbert Report, Paul Simon said he wrote "Red Rubber Ball" while living in England to get a £100 advance from The Seekers. This came in response to Colbert's request for a song that was "on the cusp" and barely made it into his songbook Lyrics 1964–2008.
- Simon and Garfunkel recorded a live version, released on their 1997 compilation album Old Friends.
- Neil Diamond recorded the song on his 1966 debut album The Feel of Neil Diamond.
- Eggchair's cover was played in the 2004 movie, Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story.
- Canadian punk rock group The Diodes recorded a cover of this song as the first track on their debut album, The Diodes (1977). According to the liner notes of the 1998 Diodes anthology, Tired of Waking Up Tired, the band recorded the cover because Paul Simon had been vocal in his disapproval of punk rock music.
- American ska punk group Streetlight Manifesto has recorded a cover of the song for their 2010 album, 99 Songs of Revolution.
- Cilla Black recorded a version of the song on her 1969 album Surround Yourself with Cilla.
- Del Shannon recorded a version of the song (album unknown)
- Mel Torme covered the song on his 1966 album Right Now!
- Covered by Nellie McKay on her 2015 album My Weekly Reader.
- Library and Archives Canada. http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/rpm/028020-119.01-e.php?brws_s=1&file_num=nlc008388.5705&type=1&interval=24&PHPSESSID=88ru65f4le76rt65315tfocub6
- http://www.ckk.chalmers.se/guitar/sg-faq/4.html Guitar[dead link]
- http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=5489 Song Facts
- http://www.classicbands.com/cyrkle.html Classic Bands: The Cyrkle
"Paperback Writer" by The Beatles
|Canadian RPM 100 number-one single
July 11, 1966 (one week)
"The Pied Piper" by Crispian St. Peters