Richard Marks (born November 10, 1943 in New York City) is an American film editor with more than 30 editing credits for feature and television films dating from 1972. In an extended, notable collaboration (1983–present), he has edited all of director James L. Brooks' feature films.
Marks was Barry Malkin's assistant editor on The Rain People (1969), which was a directed by Francis Ford Coppola early in his career. He then assisted Dede Allen on Alice's Restaurant (1969) and on Little Big Man (1970); he co-edited Serpico (1973) with Allen. Dede Allen is among the most prominent film editors of her generation, and she is noted for developing the careers of several younger editors; Roger Crittenden has written that "Perhaps the outstanding graduate of the Dede Allen Academy is Richard Marks."
The director of each film is indicated in parentheses; the filmography is based on the Internet Movie Database.
- Serpico (with Dede Allen, Ronald Roose, and Angelo Corrao) (Lumet-1973)
- Bang the Drum Slowly (Hancock-1973)
- The Godfather, Part II (with Peter Zinner and Barry Malkin) (Coppola-1974) (nominated for a BAFTA)
- The Last Tycoon (Kazan-1976)
- Apocalypse Now (with Gerald B. Greenberg, Walter Murch, and Lisa Fruchtman) (Coppola-1979) (nominated for Oscar, BAFTA and Eddie)
- The Hand (Stone-1981)
- Pennies from Heaven (Ross-1981)
- Terms of Endearment (Brooks-1983) (nominated for Oscar)
- Max Dugan Returns (Ross-1983)
- The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension (Richter-1984)
- St. Elmo's Fire (Schumacher-1985)
- Pretty in Pink (Deutch-1986)
- Broadcast News (Brooks-1987) (nominated for Oscar and Eddie)
- Say Anything... (Crowe-1989)
- Dick Tracy (Beatty-1990)
- One Good Cop (Gould-1991)
- Father of the Bride (Shyer-1991)
- I'll Do Anything (Brooks-1994)
- Assassins (Donner-1995)
- Things to Do in Denver When You're Dead (Fleder-1995)
- 'Til There Was You (with Joanna Cappuccilli) (Winant-1997)
- As Good as It Gets (Brooks-1997) (nominated for Oscar and Eddie)
- You've Got Mail (Ephron-1998)
- What Planet Are You From? (Nichols-2000)
- Riding in Cars with Boys (with Lawrence Jordan) (Marshall-2001)
- Timeline (film) (Donner-2003)
- Spanglish (Brooks-2004)
- Made of Honor (Weiland-2008)
- Julie & Julia (Ephron-2009)
- How Do You Know (Brooks-2010)
- "Richard Marks Biography (1943-)".
- Richard Marks at the Internet Movie Database
- Crittenden, Roger (1995). Film and Video Editing. Routledge. p. 162. ISBN 978-1-85713-011-9. "Perhaps the outstanding graduate of the Dede Allen Academy is Richard Marks."
- "American Cinema Editors > Members", webpage archived by WebCite from this original URL on 2008-03-04.
- Giardina, Carolyn (February 8, 2013). "Editors Richard Marks, Larry Silk to Receive ACE Career Achievement Awards". Hollywood Reporter.
- Dimond, Anna (February 14, 2013). "Marks aims to change things for the better". Variety.
- Young, Richard. "Interview with Richard Marks (Part 1)". MacVideo. First section of interview posted in five parts.