|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2009)|
TNI Major General Haji Tengku Rizal Nurdin (Bukittinggi, February 21, 1948 – Medan, September 5, 2005) was the 14th and 15th Governor of North Sumatra, Indonesia. He served from 1998 until his death on September 5, 2005. In that time he was serving in his second period (2003–2008). In the previous period (1998–2003), Rizal Nurdin was also the Governor of North Sumatra.
Before becoming Governor, he was Bukit Barisan Territorial Military Commander I in 1997, in the rank of Major General. Although born in West Sumatra, he was a Deli Malay.
Nurdin was appointed North Sumatran Governor on June 15, 1998. His second term was on March 24, 2003, and it would end on June 15, 2008.
In his marriage with Hj. NR Siti Maryam (born 1948), Rizal has 2 daughters: T. Armilla Madiana and T. Arisma Mellina. In additional, Rizal Nurdin was also the Head of North Sumatran KONI.
He died in the Mandala Airlines’ accident on September 5, 2005 in Medan. In that time he was in the official travel to present in the sudden meeting with Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono in Jakarta in the night.
- Elementary School – completed in Medan 1961
- Junior High School – completed in Medan 1964
- Senior High School – completed in Medan 1967
- School of Social and Political Science – completed in Jakarta 1996
- Sussarpara - in Batujajar 1969
- Land Akabri (Republic of Indonesian’s Armed Forces Academy) - in Magelang 1971
- Sussarcabif - in Bandung 1971
- Ranger/Airbone Course - in USA 1974
- Instructor Course – in USA 1980
- Inf Mortar Training - in USA 1980
- Inf Off Advance Course – in USA 1980
- Sus Dan Yonif - in Bandung 1985
- Seskoad - in Bandung 1988
- Second lieutenant – December 1, 1971
- First lieutenant – April 1, 1974
- Captain – April 1, 1977
- Major – October 1, 1981
- Lieutenant colonel - October 1, 1986
- Colonel - October 1, 1992
- TNI Brigadier General – February 1, 1995
- TNI Major General – August 1, 1997
- Danton Brigif Linud 18 Kostrad - 1972
- Danton 3/A Yon 501 Kostrad - 1973
- Danki A Yonif 501 Kostrad - 1976
- Danyonif 321 Brigif 13 - 1985
- Dandim 0403 Rem 044 Gapo - 1988
- UN Head Representative -Untac in Laos - 1993
- Dan Secapa TNI Land Forces - 1995
- Chief of Staff of Bukit Barisan I Regional Military Command - 1996
- Commander of Bukit Barisan I Regional Military Command - 1997
- Governor of North Sumatra - 1998–2003
- Governor of North Sumatra - 2003-2008 (died in office)