Roger C. Carmel
|Roger C. Carmel|
Carmel as Harry Mudd in Star Trek: The Original Series
|Born||Roger Charles Carmel
September 27, 1932
Brooklyn, New York, U.S.
|Died||November 11, 1986
Hollywood, California, U.S.
Cause of death
|Congestive heart failure|
|New Mount Carmel Cemetery in Glendale, Queens, New York|
Roger Charles Carmel (September 27, 1932 – November 11, 1986) was an American actor. Of his hundreds of roles, he is best remembered for playing the flamboyant and hapless criminal Harcourt Fenton Mudd in two episodes of NBC's Star Trek: The Original Series: "Mudd's Women" and "I, Mudd", and one episode of Star Trek: The Animated Series: ”Mudd's Passion". He was the only actor, other than those who played Enterprise crew members, to play the same character in multiple episodes of Star Trek: The Original Series.
Carmel starred as milksop Roger Buell in the 1967 NBC sitcom The Mothers-in-Law, but was replaced by Richard Deacon after season 1. Officially, Carmel had a salary dispute with producer Desi Arnaz, Sr., although, according to rumors, he was fired because his drug use interfered with production.
Carmel's other guest roles included the accountant Doug Wesley on CBS's The Dick Van Dyke Show and Colonel Gumm on ABC's Batman. He also appeared in roles on The Patty Duke Show, I Spy, Blue Light, The Everglades, Hogan's Heroes, Car 54, Where Are You?, Banacek, The Man from U.N.C.L.E., The Munsters, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Hawaii Five-O, All in the Family, and The San Pedro Beach Bums. He was a regular contestant on Pantomime Quiz, also known as Stump the Stars. He also appeared in Jerry Lewis's comeback 1981 film, Hardly Working.
Later in his career, Carmel was a frequent voice actor. He voiced Smokey Bear in fire safety advertisements and Decepticon deputy leader Cyclonus, among others, in the second and third seasons of the popular Transformers animated series. In the television commercials for the Naugles chain of Mexican fast-food restaurants, he played the character of Señor Naugles.
Some fan-written sources report that Carmel was slated to reprise his role as Harry Mudd in the Star Trek: The Next Generation first season finale episode, "The Neutral Zone", but died before filming could commence. However, if this is true, discussions for Carmel to reprise the role must have been at an extremely early stage, for Carmel died more than a year before that particular episode was even written. After Carmel's death, Jack Angel took over his role as Cyclonus in The Transformers.
- The Defenders - episode - The Hundred Lives of Harry Simms - Mr. Dinsmore (1961)
- Car 54, Where Are You? - episode - Stop Thief - Mr. Cochran, Director (uncredited) (1962)
- The Man from U.N.C.L.E. - episode - The Quadripartite Affair - Milan Horth (1964)
- The Dick Van Dyke Show - episode - It Wouldn't Hurt Them to Give Us a Raise - Doug Wesley (1964)
- The Munsters - episode - Lily Munster, Girl Model - Laszlo Brastoff (1965)
- The Man from U.N.C.L.E. - episode - The Ultimate Computer Affair - Captain Cervantes (1965)
- I Spy - episode - Affair in T'Sien Cha - Edwin Wade (1965)
- The Phyllis Diller Show - episode - Phyllis, the General Stealer - Cannon (1966)
- I Spy - episode - The Barter - Gordon Merritt (1966)
- Star Trek - episodes - Mudd's Women & I, Mudd - Harry Mudd (1966-1967)
- Batman - episodes - A Piece of the Action & Batman's Satisfaction - Colonel Gumm (1967)
- I Spy - episode - Red Sash of Courage - Pappas (1967)
- It Takes a Thief - episode - The Bill Is in Committee - Paz (1968)
- The Hollywood Squares - 5 episodes - Himself (1968)
- Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color - episode - My Dog, the Thief: Parts 1 & 2 - McClure (1969)
- Ironside - episode - Walls Are Waiting - Mike Elman (1971)
- The High Chaparral - episode - The New Lion of Sonora - General Casados (1971)
- Hawaii Five-O - episodes - F.O.B. Honolulu: Parts 1 & 2 & The Ninety-Second War: Part II - Misha the Bear (1971-1972)
- Banacek - episode - To Steal a King - Oliver Garson (1972)
- Star Trek: The Animated Series - episode - Mudd's Passion - Harcourt Fenton Mudd (uncredited) (1973)
- McMillan & Wife - episode - Death of a Monster... Birth of a Legend - Houston Gorman (1973)
- McCloud - episode - The Man with the Golden Hat - David Kern (1975)
- The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries - episode - Nancy Drew's Love Match - John Bender (1977)
- All in the Family - episode - Fire - Mr. Ligway (1977)
- B.J. and the Bear - episode - The Eyes of Texas - Morton Jarvis (1979)
- The Misadventures of Sheriff Lobo - episode - Mystery on the Orly Express - Hubert Hemmings (1980)
- Laverne & Shirley - episodes - Murder on the Moose Jaw Express: Parts 1 & 2 - The Waiter (1980)
- Hart to Hart - episode - 'Tis the Season to Be Murdered - Walter Brent (1980)
- The Transformers - 32 episodes - Cyclonus / Motormaster / Bruticus / Unicron / Prime Minister of Japan / Various (1985-1987)
- The New Adventures of Jonny Quest - Additional Voices (1986)
- Adventures of the Gummi Bears - 4 episodes - Sir Tuxford / Town Crier / Charm Teacher (1986)
- DuckTales - episode - Master of the Djinni - Sultan (1987)
- Transformers: Five Faces of Darkness - Video - Cyclonus / Motormaster / Quintesson Judge #2 / Various (1986)
- The Transformers: The Movie - Cyclonus / Quintesson Leader (1986)
- Roger C. Carmel at the Internet Movie Database
- Roger C. Carmel at Memory Alpha (a Star Trek wiki)
- news from me Archives: Roger (Over and Out)
- The Death of Roger C. Carmel?