Rosalind Cash in trailer for The Omega Man (1971)
December 31, 1938|
Atlantic City, New Jersey, U.S.
|Died||October 31, 1995
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
Rosalind Cash (December 31, 1938 – October 31, 1995) was an American singer and actress. Her best known film role is as Charlton Heston's character's love interest Lisa, in the 1971 science fiction cult classic, The Omega Man. To soap opera audiences, she is probably best remembered as Mary Mae Ward on General Hospital from 1994 to 1995.
Early life and education
Cash was the second of four children. Her siblings were John (1936–1998), Robert, and Helen. All were born and raised in Atlantic City, New Jersey. Her older brother, Col. John A. Cash, enjoyed a long illustrious career with the United States Army, serving in the Defense Intelligence Agency. He died in 1998 and is buried in Arlington National Cemetery.
Cash was an original member of the Negro Ensemble Company founded in 1968. She appeared on the New York area television show "Callback!" which featured musical director Barry Manilow. The episode Cash was featured on was filmed on Monday evening March 31, 1969 at the Village Gate in New York City. The episode aired on Saturday, April 19, 1969 at 3:30 p. m. on CBS. Sadly, it unknown what Cash performed on the show as no recordings have yet to turn up. Her career extended to stage, screen, and television. Her other television credits include What's Happening, Good Times, Kojak, Barney Miller, Benson, Police Woman, Family Ties, Head Of The Class and so many others. Her films included Klute (1971), The New Centurions (1972) with George C. Scott, Uptown Saturday Night (1974) with Sydney Poitier, and Wrong Is Right (1982). In 1995, she appeared in Tales from the Hood which marks her last film appearance.
Cash was nominated for an Emmy Award for her work on the Public Broadcasting Service production of Go Tell it on the Mountain. In 1973 she performed as Goneril in King Lear at the New York Shakespeare Festival alongside James Earl Jones's Lear. She was also in the 1962 revival of Fiorello!.
She had an amusing cameo on the Golden Girls, playing Dorothy's future daughter-in-law.
- Circle of Pain (1996) (TV)
- Tales from the Hood (1995) .... Dr. Cushing
- A Dangerous Affair (1995) (TV) .... Dr. Robertson
- General Hospital (1993) TV Series .... Mary Mae Ward (1994–1995)
- The Second Coming (1992)
- You Must Remember This (1992) a.k.a. Wonderworks: You Must Remember This (USA: series title) (TV) .... Janet Mickens
- A Different World (1989) TV Series .... Dean Hughes (Under One Roof)
- Forced March (1989)
- Death Spa (1988) .... Sgt. Stone ... a.k.a. Witch Bitch
- The Golden Girls episode "Mixed Blessings" (broadcast March 19, 1988) .... Lorraine
- Highway to Heaven episode "A Song of Songs" (broadcast January 21, 1987) .... Ellie Livingston
- The Offspring (1987) .... Snake Woman
- Mighty Pawns (1987) (TV) .... Mrs. Robinson
- Go Tell It on the Mountain (1985) (TV) .... Florence
- Knight Rider (1984) (TV) .... Irana (Princess)
- The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension (1984) .... John Emdall
- Just an Overnight Guest (1983) (TV)
- This Is the Life (1983) TV Series
- Special Bulletin (1983) (TV) .... Frieda Barton
- Sister, Sister (1982) (TV) .... Freida Lovejoy Burton
- Wrong Is Right (1982) .... Mrs. Ford ... a.k.a. The Man with the Deadly Lens
- Keeping On (1981) (TV)
- The Sophisticated Gents (1981) (TV) .... Christine Jackson
- Guyana Tragedy: The Story of Jim Jones (1980) (TV) .... Jenny Hammond ... a.k.a. The Mad Messiah
- Flashpoint (1979) (TV)
- The Class of Miss MacMichael (1978) .... Una Ferrar
- Death Drug (1978)
- A Killing Affair (1977) (TV) .... Beverly York ... a.k.a. Behind the Badge
- What's Happening!! (1976) .... Loretta
- Good Times (1976) (TV) .... Jessica Bishop
- The Mary Tyler Moore Show (TV) ... Enid Berringer
- The Monkey Hu$tle (1976) .... Mama
- Dr. Black, Mr. Hyde (1976) .... Dr. Billie Worth (a.k.a. Dr. Black and Mr. Hyde; Dr. Black and Mr. White; The Watts Monster)
- Cornbread, Earl and Me (1975) .... Sarah Robinson... a.k.a. Hit the Open Man
- Ceremonies in Dark Old Men (1975) (TV) .... Adele
- Amazing Grace (1974 film) .... Creola Waters
- Uptown Saturday Night (1974) .... Sarah Jackson
- King Lear (1974) (TV) .... Goneril
- The All-American Boy (1973) .... Poppy
- Hickey & Boggs (1972) .... Nyona
- Melinda (1972) .... Terry Davis
- The New Centurions (1972) .... Lorrie... a.k.a. Precinct 45: Los Angeles Police
- The Omega Man (1971) .... Lisa
- Klute (1971) .... Pat
- Rosalind Cash at the Internet Movie Database
- Rosalind Cash at Find a Grave
- Obituary at soapzone.com
- Obituary at The New York Times "Rosalind Cash, 56, at Home on Stage and Screen."